Ktm 250 xcw head mod

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Powdercowboy
User
User

Ktm 250 xcw head mod

Post by Powdercowboy »

Hi guys, I recently picked up a project bike for a new woods weapon. It's a 2008 ktm 250 xcw, just wondering what other guys have done for head work. Iv read about putting on sx head, slavens head, rktek head ( little more pricey). What have other guys done with success that they would suggest? Thanks!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Ktm 250 xcw head mod

Post by dirtyboy »

I've always just used a KTM SX head because the compression is so low here at 5,000+ ASL.

I am intrigued by the RKTek head as well but haven't been willing to deal with getting the part from the US.

Powdercowboy
User
User

Post by Powdercowboy »

dirtyboy wrote:I've always just used a KTM SX head because the compression is so low here at 5,000+ ASL.

I am intrigued by the RKTek head as well but haven't been willing to deal with getting the part from the US.
Is it as simple as finding sx head on eBay swapping and maybe change some jetting if necessary? Was it a noticeable gain for You?

Iv ordered rktek pistons for my sled and received them in a timely matter.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

The SX head is one of the cheapest upgrades. I would check with cycleworks on this forum to price it for you. It may not be worth doing the ebay thing.

I put one on my 2007 250 XCW and all the 250 XC's that I've had.

Drain coolant, remove the cooling host, remove the head, install the head, torque bolts, connect cooling hose and fill rad.

On the XCW I noticed a lot of unburnt 2stroke oil on the top of the piston and head. So I end up leaning the jetting slightly for the SX head because the unburnt fuel starts to burn with the increase in compression. Roughly the XCW head is 165psi and the SX head 200+ psi.

vwrally
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vwrally »

I put an SX head on my 2012 xcw last year, I also put a 52T rear sprocket on at the same time. The combination livened it up a fair bit and I ended up going to the green power valve spring to soften things up a bit (had the red spring in before). I also put the cooler SX spark plug in around mid season as I was getting some preignition more often than I’d like, better with the cooler plug but still hear it occasionally.

Powdercowboy
User
User

Post by Powdercowboy »

Awesome thanks for information! I ended up finding sx head on eBay for 100$ shipped here so pulled the trigger on it.

I also ordered new top-end kit from fort nine (199$ on sale right now) and vforce4 reeds.
Currently 140psi compression right now, not sure what a healthy number would be for our altitude?

Service manual only says max .040" ring gap but doesn't give a new ring set range? From what I could search I'm looking for .015- .020"? Thanks again