2T skidplates w/integrated pipe guard

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
NineOh
User
User

2T skidplates w/integrated pipe guard

Post by NineOh »

I'm looking at getting a skidplate with built in pipe guard (Emperor Racing or Hyde likely) but I don't see many local 2T riders using them. In theory, it seems like it would be a great option; protects the pipe and unlike a stand alone pipe protector, the load is put into the frame rather than the pipe itself. They cost a lot more but if you factor in the cost of a replacement pipe or 2 it seems like a bargain.

Why aren't they more popular? The extra weight? The extra mud they'd hold? Other?

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: 2T skidplates w/integrated pipe guard

Post by dirtyboy »

I've used both. I'm currently using the Emporer Racing unit on my 2018 250 XC. I like it. It really protects the pipe, unlike the Hyde. The Hyde plate bends and you end up with a pipe with a kink in the neck. And it fills up with mud under the engine and around the pipe on the trail. Difficult to clean out.

The Emporer Racing unit has a plate that stops the mud from filling up under the engine. It protects the pipe perfectly. The pipe part fills with mud but it washes out pretty easily. I went 12 months without even touching my pipe. After 12 months I had to replace the pipe o-rings so I call that a success.

The standard Emporer Racing unit for the stock pipe also works with the Gnarly pipe.

NineOh
User
User

Post by NineOh »

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely leaning towards the Emperor unit. Unfortunately the plate for the stock and Gnarly are different for the YZ250X so I need to sort that out first.

boogle2
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boogle2 »

I run the emperor racing unit on my 17 300 and love it. Don't really seem to notice the weight as its low down. Mine really protects the pipe, don't think I'm going to need a new one for a while. Would definitely buy again.

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

Where’s the best place to buy them. They seem a little pricey.
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

boogle2
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boogle2 »

Yeah mine was over $300 for sure. I got it through a buddy who works at a dealer. I don't really know of any cheap places.

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

Pipes are $300 too
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

NineOh
User
User

Post by NineOh »

boland wrote:Pipes are $300 too
That was my thought process... spend the money, buy the skidplate and save on pipes and pipe repair costs moving forward.

DwayneH
User
User

Post by DwayneH »

Call Reynolds Brothers racing for pricing. I have the emperor on my 300xcw and on my sons YX250X and it's great on both bikes.
Dwayne Howatt
"17 300xcw

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I got mine from Cycleworks Calgary. They had them in stock a few weeks ago. And they always give the RMDRA discount to all club members. :thumbsup: