Penny Tech (TM) Acerbis X seat Gen 1 brace plate weight loss

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Penny Tech (TM) Acerbis X seat Gen 1 brace plate weight loss

Post by malcolmzilla »

Acquired an Acerbis X seat with my 15 XC250.

It is the original version, these things will grip your bum like a lowland gorilla in mating season, and depending on your man-scaping habits, post-ride will make your under layers look like a squirrel died in 'em.

However, they are not any lighter than a stock seat. And on this version, unlike my YZ version that is all plastic, this seat had a steel brace plate that added even more weight. At a glance, it didn't seem necessary, so I removed it to save some weight up high on the bike, salad dodger that I am, its the bike that has to get lighter...

Well, discovered that the plate is necessary, in an abrupt transition on the seat, given the aforementioned grip, the seat can flex, bow, and release from the front post horn, and recoil and smack you right up in your hoohoo region, causing you to biff and watch your buddies ride past, as you are balled up in the fetal position in the rhubarb.

So, since I had more time than money, the diet plan isn't taking, and some thin aluminum plate kicking, as opposed to re-installing the steel version, I attempted to refabriculate the brace in aluminum, for the factory team weight savings.

So far so good, no more hoohoo jamming, and the XC is that much more svelte.

Steel left, Al right.
Attachments
IMG_1255.jpg
IMG_1257.jpg
Last edited by malcolmzilla on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
15 Yamaha YZ250FX, 270cc, cams
15 XC250
11 Berg 570, dualsport and supermoto
17 PW50
78ish CT70
Just another Dirt Donkey...

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Acerbis X seat Gen 1 brace plate weight loss

Post by cerealkiller »

Nice work :thumbsup: Looks factory to me.

I've got the second gen version - it's still crazy grippy. Compression shorts are not optional. If I haven't ridden in awhile, the day after a ride with the X-seat isn't pretty. :lol:
-Jared
#44b

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Penny Tech (TM) Acerbis X seat Gen 1 brace plate weight loss

Post by malcolmzilla »

"It rubs the lotion on its skin" (and uses the standing workstation post ride) :lol:

Each speed hole adds 1mph on the top end. Might need more.
15 Yamaha YZ250FX, 270cc, cams
15 XC250
11 Berg 570, dualsport and supermoto
17 PW50
78ish CT70
Just another Dirt Donkey...

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I agree, I thought that the X seat was way too heavy. And the weight is at the top of the bike where it is most noticeable. So I turfed mine in favour of the KTM low seat with a great seat cover.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Loving all the Penny Tech articles lately, keep 'em coming!