GoPro evaluations

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

GoPro evaluations

Post by dirtyboy »

There isn't a lot on here about GoPro cameras. Or any action camera. I have a GoPro Hero which was very good. The best thing about it was the 2+ hour battery life for HS. I'm in the market for a new unit. Any suggestions?

What about the Session models?

Or should I get another Hero model?

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: GoPro evaluations

Post by cycleworks »

We carry Zeal camera goggles here- next time you are in check them out, they are so cool!
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

The new Hero models are big bucks. If it was me, I'm not sure I would care about all the fancy features either (e.g. Quickstories). The size of the session is appealing - not sure they have the battery life to cover a whole race though.

What generation is your current camera? I think mine is a Hero 3 Black and I don't think it will go even two hours. All my videos end before the checkers.
-Jared
#44b

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

I have a session, and so far love it. The picture quality is way above my expectations and the battery life is also about 2 hrs. Depending on the model, you can get voice activation to turn it on and off. Thumbs up from me. :thumbsup:
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

scubarusteve
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by scubarusteve »

I have a Garmin Virb Elite. 3 hours of battery for recording. has GPS so maps out trails and gives speed / elevation and other sensors if you wish to add them. Heres a link to our channel if you want to check some vids out. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2-ZSb ... 7r7utDXKQ?
the quality can easily get lost when uploading as i have learned through some videos.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

cerealkiller wrote:The new Hero models are big bucks. If it was me, I'm not sure I would care about all the fancy features either (e.g. Quickstories). The size of the session is appealing - not sure they have the battery life to cover a whole race though.

What generation is your current camera? I think mine is a Hero 3 Black and I don't think it will go even two hours. All my videos end before the checkers.
I have a Hero with no number. I think it is a Hero HD. The battery lasts over 2 hours and usually gets a whole HS. The unit is getting too temperamental these days though.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm not happy with GoPro's policy with the quickstories. GoPro gets full rights to all videos that you upload.

I'll have to check out the Zeal ones. Any others?

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Many moons ago, I had the Drift HD (from drift innovations). I liked it a lot, but the size was odd. They've mad a lot of changes since then. There's a new one I've heard about as well, it's Monster something. Another couple to look at.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

The Extreme Sport DV was an AMSA sponsor last year. They offer a line of very affordable action cameras.

https://www.xtremesportdv.com/

I chatted with the fellow at one race and he acknowledged they offer "knock off" cameras built offshore at a fraction of the cost of a gopro. If I wanted one, I would try them out.

RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

I have a "joe-pro" Cyclops GoPro knock off, a gift from my riding buddies who wanted better documentation of the thrills and spills and resultant tourette's outbreaks.

Works alright, uses GoPro parts, but the batteries die quickly in the cold. I wish it was smaller, to mount under the helmet visor, so might keep an eye for a chinesium Session knock off.
15 Yamaha YZ250FX, 270cc, cams
15 XC250
11 Berg 570, dualsport and supermoto
17 PW50
78ish CT70
Just another Dirt Donkey...

Xcfjohn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xcfjohn »

What about the Nikon keymission 170? Id like to more about it. They already make cameras so I'm sure they can make a good one.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

That aussie gumby guy did a recent vid where he goes on about how much he likes his Sony pov cam, might be worth a watch.

ginotang131

Post by ginotang131 »

Can't beat the quality/accessories/reliability of the GoPros. There are lots on Kijiji for super cheap.

We just picked up a Hero 5 Black and the quality is great. The Session Black is great as well because it is so small. Hero 4 Black will give you the same quality but requires the use of a case.

Battery life will always be an issue in the wintertime, and the mode you are recording in will also affect it. I use the Hero 5 Black and the Remote on my handlebars so that I don't have to mess around with it on my helmet.

Let me know if you have any other questions,
Gino