Who has a XTrainer?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Who has a XTrainer?

Post by takethebounce »

A new house was on the way last year so I felt compelled to free up cash and sell my 200XCW. While I made the bike all that it could be to satisfy my riding it was maybe a good time to move on and try something new.

When the Xtrainer came out I thought I might be interested but I have yet to see one in the wild. I pretty much forgot about them. Going down and sitting on one only gets you so far and there were very limited demo days for anyone last late year with the restrictions.

The only downside I could ever say I had with my 200 was sometimes I missed some torque. That way if I needed to I could power over an obstacle or section if I made a mistake.

I have looked at some used stuff, there isn’t much in the 250/300 cc range. I might be going overkill to a 300 but they lug nice. Seat height is always an issue with my short legs. Who has had a Xtrainer and came from a bigger XC bike?

Or should I maybe just get a 300 and have it lowered a little? Then I can just tune the power valve to my liking and not sacrifice any suspension shortcomings the Xtrainer reviewers constantly have. My 200 I shaved the seat and ran the X bushing and it was near perfect. That’s about a 1.25” drop.

What say you?

scubarusteve
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Who has a XTrainer?

Post by scubarusteve »

I dont have a x-trainer, But i do have the Beta 300RR, it does have the smaller seat height, its a 300 but the power valve adjustment doesn't hit. feels like a 4 stroke but still has the tractor power. Reason i went with the RR over the Xtrainer is some days i do like to clip along and higher speeds and the RR is more stable faster.

My wife loves ridding the 300RR she feels extremely comfortable on it and she is coming from a Honda CRF250X and she is 5'8
Let me know if you have questions.

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takethebounce »

Thanks scuba! I have ridden a 300RR as one of my buddies has one. I have been riding orange since 2012 so it’s hard to go to something new when you know the layout of the other bikes.

I have scoured the forums and I know a 300 in any iteration is a bike I will obviously never outgrow but the lighter and smaller Xtrainer with its detuned 300 which likes slower guys like me sounds appealing. I am not the fastest most technical guy on two wheels and I don’t need to be.

I liked my 200 for its light feel but could get on the pipe once in awhile in the double wide trails. Road transitions the bigger bores would be nice but it’s not that important. I just don’t want to get a Xtrainer and wish I just went for the bike with better tuned suspension.

scubarusteve
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by scubarusteve »

No worries, Whatever you get i'm sure you will be happy with it!

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

don't rule out a KTM freeride. The torque of that 250 is very forgiving and the light weight is noticeably different than a fullsize 300. I have met a few men that trail ride and race them and they love them. My wife has one and I have spent lots of time playing on it and I am impressed by how functional the bike is. At 225lbs and 5'8" and a bunch I have no issue going fast on the single track, play riding or climbing hills on this thing.

Her old bike was a 200 and I have never been a fan of the power delivery of the 200. I feel it takes more effort to ride than a 250 or 300.

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takethebounce »

Dobi wrote:don't rule out a KTM freeride. The torque of that 250 is very forgiving and the light weight is noticeably different than a fullsize 300. I have met a few men that trail ride and race them and they love them. My wife has one and I have spent lots of time playing on it and I am impressed by how functional the bike is. At 225lbs and 5'8" and a bunch I have no issue going fast on the single track, play riding or climbing hills on this thing.

Her old bike was a 200 and I have never been a fan of the power delivery of the 200. I feel it takes more effort to ride than a 250 or 300.
That Freeride is a confusing bike. I thought when it came out they had really nailed down a niche market bike but I have ridden it and I am not a fan. Apparently they have made changes to it? The Xtrainer would be a compromise for me for its low seat height. I think at the end of the day I am better off getting a true XC bike with proper suspension they more I read about them. Maybe a Husky TE250 or other like bike.

Its obvisously far from biking season for most of us but if I don't find something in the nearer future I want to have a solid idea what I want when the time comes or the right bike becomes available.