Penny Tech composite boot repair

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Penny Tech composite boot repair

Post by malcolmzilla »

Had a TCX Comp Evo crack at the inner wear/grip insert, after only a few months. Yes I got a deal on the Gumby green color, used once but unlike yours truly the previous owner had some pride and refused to be seen in them. No, I did not get a free bowl of soup as well as my buddy likes to enquire every ride...

Anyhow, these were really nice boots for me, compact toe box for less trail trash hooking, the sole is durable and the protection and comfort is good. And they were watertight!

It likely failed due to me kicking my bike like a epileptic line dancer, catching the molded insert on the foot peg teeth and cracking it. Cut it out completely as it was flapping catching and going to take the whole boot lower out.

These are a composite (plastic) molded boot and whilst my boot repair go to fella really tried, the glued in foam insert he tired also chowdered out in one ride, and leaked like a sieve.

Having nothing to lose, I decided to attempt a fix with my go to gorilla snot glue all, automotive polyurethane seam sealer/adhesive. After all it’s holding the roof of my van on so far...

Removed all the prior repair, ground out the edges clean, hit it with a composite wire wheel to rough up and brake clean and air, dry. Filled the hole with polyurethane seam sealer ($11 a tube) and then built it up a bit, then using a water wet finger, and gloves as this stuff really mottles up skin, smoothed the surface over.

Brought it indoors and let us sit, repair side up, for about a week. Set up nice, flexible, good bond, good density, pliable.

Rode with em in the snow January 1, no rips or cracks in the repair from the cold, or from flailing leg riding technique impacts, and still watertight. Will see how they hold up longer term.

With boots going for $600 plus for a decent set, perhaps this will save someone a few bucks, or stretch a backup set of boots a season.
Last edited by malcolmzilla on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 Yamaha YZ250FX, 270cc, cams
15 XC250
11 Berg 570, dualsport and supermoto
17 PW50
78ish CT70
Just another Dirt Donkey...

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Penny Tech composite boot repair

Post by malcolmzilla »

2 rides on the repair, no leaks, holding up well.
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Where to buy the Poly Seam sealer? I have a pair of SG-12s where the shifter has worn the plastic top side of the boot, and I'd like to patch before its a hole...

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Any auto parts store, you are looking for a polyurethane seam sealer/adhesive.
Not sure its suitable for an high abrasion area repair tho.
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

This repair held up riding pretty much every weekend, then it cracked a bit around the edges during a week long trip recently. I cut it out and redid it, this time with a bit of plastic between the liner and the outer plastic molding - see if that adds reinforcement.

It definitely needs a week to cure when the polyurethane is that thick. Am also trying the seam sealer to adhere a cracked sole lip back on (thus the tape).
TCX repair v2.jpg
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70