KTM xc/xcw starter issue

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

KTM xc/xcw starter issue

Post by malcolmzilla »

Posting up quick tech write up on a repair, temporary at this point, to an issue I encountered with the starter system on my 15 XC.
Other years 08-15 XCW and XC similar, haven't seen this issue covered here yet (quick search).

Symptom: Random starting, in neutral only, lots of noise and hard ugly stops of the starter assembly, and forget cold cranking it...
So, pretty much all systems normal for a KTM starter.

~86 hours on the bike, new to me.

Decide to take a look at the usual suspects. Wow this thing is definitely an afterthought and cobbled together, so much gear friction it needs the reduction to even turn the motor over, at a blistering 60rpm. :confused:

Removed the starter motor. Turned over smooth and on 12V bench test ran good.
Remove ignition cover to inspect bendix gear.
Shrapnel everywhere, dried grease, grit n bits, metal shards on pickup and had been abrading the stator epoxy.
Bendix works ok by hand and smooth.

Bushings looked ok, but dry, except the outer bendix support bushing; completely MIA the gear had been chowdering out the cover bushing pocket, misaligning the bendix mesh.
IMG_0416.JPG
IMG_0417.JPG
Well, there's your problem right there buddy. :thinking:

Called for a new ignition cover, but given the holiday break, cover wont be in until January, and I wanted to ride.
Note: Cycleworks was open and normally stocks one cover as this is a common issue, but had sold it, and was waiting on one.
They did have the sorry little pieces of junk KTM calls bushings ($2 ea), so I grabbed a few as "consumables" in anticipation of the new cover arriving, and these wearing quickly.
IMG_1013.jpg
I could've just removed the starter gearing, sealed the starter input, and replaced the cover, making it a kick only for the ride, but the MacGruber in me was too strong to subdue...

And it was -30 and I had a few days. And I paid for e-start dammit. Nothing to lose, so...

Filled the pocket flush with Permatex "steel" type epoxy (covered stator/pickup in case). Let it set under mild heat ~8 hours, then somewhat carefully center punched it and drilled it. Maybe should've set it up in the drill press, but such a fine Austrian design didn't seem to merit that level of precision.
IMG_10419.jpg
This stuff was soft, maybe it needed longer to set, or was just janky. BUT IT SAID GOOD FOR 4000 PSI IN 4 HOURS ON THE TUBE??? NOOOOOO!!!

Piloted it, then stepped up in drill sizes until the OD of the bushing (again, that's a strong term) was reached, made a bit of a bottoming bit by grinding the last size drill bit nose off and bottomed out the new epoxy bushing pocket.

Tapped the "bushing" (again, harhar KTM) in, and set the bendix in and measured the standoff from the case edge, and checked that against the case bendix output support on the bike, to ensure that re-installation didn't crack the cover.
IMG_10420.JPG
IMG_10421.JPG
Did the Slaven's YouTube clean and greasing, reassembled it all.

Laser temperature of engine case 5C, cranked the starter and it fired up, with only "normal" KTM starter noises, ie: crankcases full of marbles. :applause:

So far haven't had to kick it yet, even during the whole ride, it was used very frequently (ride is a strong term given conditions), so maybe its holding. Or perhaps the ignition is now full of bushing and epoxy. :redneck: Find out when the new cover shows up.

Anyhow, if you have one of these superbly engineered starter systems :lol:, hope this helps out. Definitely inspect and clean and lube regularly.
Last edited by malcolmzilla on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 Yamaha YZ250FX, 270cc, cams
15 XC250
11 Berg 570, dualsport and supermoto
17 PW50
78ish CT70
Just another Dirt Donkey...

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: KTM xc/xcw starter issue

Post by dirtyboy »

Pretty amazing. Nice write up. Thanks.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

I reckon you can attest to how much my e-start was recruited during the ride! ROFL
Last edited by malcolmzilla on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

nice write up. I have had little to no luck with those starters over the years and wound up being 3 or 4 replacements and a handful of bendix's over time. I sure hope the new design is better because the new kickstarter sucks and is going to eat boots :thumbsdown:

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

When you get back in the garage with it to install the new parts, while you're there open up the starter motor, pull the armature out and add grease to the end cap bearings. KTM accounting people figured out they could save $0.02 cents by not adding any grease to them and force you to buy more parts when they chew themselves up.
:cheers:
The voices are back. Awesome!

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Dobi, see boot penny tech, thanks for the tip Brass ,I will grease those too.
Last edited by malcolmzilla on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

Great write up.
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

2 more rides. Still have not kicked it once.
Edit: let me clarify, have not had to kickstart it. Kicking, well, it was a lazy bike and wouldn’t stay upright :D
Last edited by malcolmzilla on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

Has anyone tried the Slavens "wet" modifications?
1) Plug the case cover drain
2) Punch a hole in the stator wiring grommet
3) Add a vent (KTM 45130022000) in the added hole
4) Reassemble and fill with light oil (fork, ATF, etc.)

I have considered doing this to Kaitlyn's Freeride. Any adverse effect of the stator soaking in oil?

Interestingly, Jeff Slavens states that he developed the wet mod it for a customer but does not like it or use it on his own bikes. He cleans and regreases yearly. https://slavensracing.com/shop/2015-ben ... 200250300/

He even gives KTM props for the affordability of the bushings that Malcolm likes so much :D
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Most 4 stroke stators circulate oil wet iirc, as long as you don't fill it too much an create windage, should be OK.
Given the inspection frequency mandated by the bushing wear rate, I'd be inclined to keep it dry and greased to facilitate that.
Maybe the freeride has different guts? Still got the epoxy if you need a dab :D
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

Freeride is 250 two stroke. Looks like the same old 25/300 starter system (though hers is a 17 and cranks like CRAZY! - maybe fixed?)
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

RJHenry wrote:Has anyone tried the Slavens "wet" modifications?
1) Plug the case cover drain
2) Punch a hole in the stator wiring grommet
3) Add a vent (KTM 45130022000) in the added hole
4) Reassemble and fill with light oil (fork, ATF, etc.)

I have considered doing this to Kaitlyn's Freeride. Any adverse effect of the stator soaking in oil?

Interestingly, Jeff Slavens states that he developed the wet mod it for a customer but does not like it or use it on his own bikes. He cleans and regreases yearly. https://slavensracing.com/shop/2015-ben ... 200250300/

He even gives KTM props for the affordability of the bushings that Malcolm likes so much :D
I did a buddy's 2014 XC 300 with the wet mod. We did not add the vent, just added oil and sealed cover with silicone. He put a ton of hours on it for two years and never opened the cover. No issues.

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

Slavens has a more recent video essentially denouncing his previous wet mod video. He did not find the wet mod worth it and advises people to just clean and grease it regularly. The title of the video is “how to service the KTM 250/300 e-starter gear drive”.
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

RJHenry wrote:Interestingly, Jeff Slavens states that he developed the wet mod it for a customer but does not like it or use it on his own bikes. He cleans and regreases yearly. https://slavensracing.com/shop/2015-ben ... 200250300/

boland wrote:Slavens has a more recent video essentially denouncing his previous wet mod video. He did not find the wet mod worth it and advises people to just clean and grease it regularly. The title of the video is “how to service the KTM 250/300 e-starter gear drive”.
We are in violent agreement.
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

From my own OCD bike maintenance experience, regular removal cleaning and greasing of all the bushings and the starter end cap bearing is all that is needed.

Once one of the bushings or bearings starts to loosen up, it will increase the loading on the others causing the rest to wear at an increased rate and adding drag to the starter, at some point causing it to fail as well.

If the bendix bushings have worn, I would bet the starter end cap bearing is also showing signs that it needs some love.

Likely overkill but my maintance checklists had the starter out every 5 rides for cleaning and lube. In all the time that we have had e-start 2t bikes in the garage, not one starter related issue. I would say most could go to 10 or 20 rides between services (depending on starter use) but I enjoy working on my bikes. For me it is a relaxation technique.

Your mileage may vary.
The voices are back. Awesome!