Lights for 2 stroke

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
PaulS
User
User

Lights for 2 stroke

Post by PaulS »

Hi all,
What are your opinions on a headlight for an rm250?
I have gone without a light in past, but just want to follow the rules and avoid any heat.

Have read other threads where stator upgrades were done.

Will a rechargeable mountain bike headlight that meets the 60meter distance work if installed on the handlebar?

I could perhaps find a spot for a small battery in the frame and get one of those polisport lights....

Thanks for your feedback,
Paul

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Lights for 2 stroke

Post by giantjoe »

If you wanted to hard wire something up, you could mount LEDs on the front and back and wire them up to a R/C car battery stashed behind your number plate. Relatively easy to do...
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

PaulS
User
User

Post by PaulS »

Great Advice, Thanks!

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Just spit-balling a few ideas:

1. I wonder if there's any power tool LED lights that could work. E.g. the DEWALT DCL060 LED worklight produces 1500 lumens and costs ~$100 (cheapest I found online was at IHL for $84). That polisport setup is great and all, but costs $477 from gnarlyparts :crazy: and claims 800 lumens. I don't think my wallet opens that far.

I realize the lumen rating isn't the whole story as the Dewalt light is probably a floodlight vs. a more focused headlight, but still. That presumes you don't also have to buy a battery (although still cheaper if you do and you could use it for other things). The DCL060 looks a little bulky, so maybe that's a bad example. Maybe another brand makes something slimmer. You could use the light for other things, take it camping etc.

2. Lots of LED lights have variable input voltage ratings. E.g. this $150 LED light bar from Princess Auto reads 10-30v and claims 5000 lumens: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8604035e. I wonder if you could figure out a way to power it with an 18v power tool battery (I don't actually know if that's safe since I think power tools have some sort of protection against discharging them too far). Maybe someone clever like Axel99 could invent something to market to us...

3. I have an LED headlight I can mount on my helmet for night riding that's powered by a regular old 12volt lead-acid battery pack. I bought the light first and then went looking for a way to power it. Investigated li-on and li-po RC batteries, but they are expensive and will also require a special charger.

I wandered into Battery World on Barlow and chatted with a fellow there about it. The guy said he could make me a custom Ni-cd battery for less than the lithium options, but that it probably wasn't worth it -it would only be a little lighter and smaller. They've got a bunch of small sealed lead acid battery packs there in lots of different shapes and sizes. The one I bought is slim, but fills about 1/3 of a hydropack and could power my 1500 lumen LED light for about 4hrs. In retrospect, it's still a little big and heavy for comfortable wearing, but I also don't need as much capacity as I bought. It cost $20. Next time I think I need to use my helmet light, I'll probably just go buy a smaller battery.

Those options presume you want a usable light for riding at night. If you're just trying to be legal, I don't think you need go even that far.
-Jared
#44b

PaulS
User
User

Post by PaulS »

Jared, thanks for the very detailed information!

Truly, my main concern is being legal.

As for night riding, if needed for club nights I have a great headlamp that fits on the visor that will light the way.

Cheers!

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Ha, don't thank me too much. I didn't actually try any of my "great" suggestions.

For curiosity's sake, I checked to see what Bosch has too (I have both Dewalt and Bosch power tools). The design looks easier to strap to your forks with those movable arms, its smaller and has a little higher lumen rating too (1900).

Should get ~1.25hours runtime on high from a 1.5ah slimpack battery. It's 3.5lbs vs. the Lookos 3.15lbs, but that's not including the battery. A 2.0ah pack is 0.75lbs, but I couldn't find how much the 1.5's weigh. Costs ~$100.
-Jared
#44b