I need to borrow a clutch basket tool

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Knuck
User
User

I need to borrow a clutch basket tool

Post by Knuck »

Does anyone have a clutch basket tool for a KTM I could borrow? I have all the parts sitting on my bench (inner and outer baskets, clutch plates) ready to go in next week when the weather warms up a bit. Failing the tool does anyone have a tip on holding the basket while torquing the nut?

Lastly I ordered an EBC plate kit with heavy duty springs. Does anyone have experience with these springs or should I just run stock?

Thanks,
Eric

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: I need to borrow a clutch basket tool

Post by AJRJ »

You can use a piece of aluminum to jam the basket and primary gear (Motion Pro actually sells a tool) or alternatively shift into 5/6 gear and lock the rear tire with a broom handle. The basket holders aren't a perfect solution, as you have to be quite careful not to damage the basket. Often times I use one of the above techniques.

Also verify the torque setting, it's probably not as tight as you think. The locking tab ensures it will not undo.

Just my $0.02

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

I have always gotten by with an impact wrench. I ramp up slowly for the removal, and the last time I used an 80 lb-ft Torque Limiting Extension when installing (specification is 76 lb-ft IIRC).

Like anything, use your judgement and follow this advice "at your own risk". It certainly works fine when working on your friend's bike. :D
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

Use an impact to remove the nut but use a torque wrench when putting in back on. I put the bike in 6th gear and put a 2x4 in the spokes to lock the wheel against the swing arm when torquing it.
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

Knuck
User
User

Post by Knuck »

Thanks for the tips. It sounds like the broomstick in the spokes is foolproof. I do have one more quick question regarding the clutch basket. I am in the process of grinding the rivets on the original to separate the primary gear and basket. The new basket came with bolts that require red loc tite and peening of the bolts. Is there a specific tool for this or just a standard punch with a conical tip? A whole kit seems pricey to peen 8 bolts lol.

Any thoughts on the heavy duty springs? I guess I can assemble the clutch and before putting the cover on pull the clutch a few times to see if it is too much for my wimpy little arm.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Absolutely zero issues with the bolts I've done and peened. A standard center punch is all you need. Just support the basket firmly, and don't go all Gorilla on it, it really doesn't take much. I've never seen red locktight fail (used correctly e.g.clean bolt)

I personally would only use heavy springs where you see/feel slippage occurring. Often time we just don't load down the engines of these bikes for our riding conditions. Snow, mud, and sand can change that, but strong springs can wear your hand out in a hurry. You can also go halfway, by swapping 3/6 for heavier...

Good luck :cheers:

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

I would 2nd what AJRJ mentioned on the clutch springs. Unless you are a really heavy guy or running the wrong tranny oil you should not experience any slipping. If you go half way just replace every 2nd spring with a HD one.