New Chain & Sprockets

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Giles
Writer
Writer

New Chain & Sprockets

Post by Giles »

hi all, it's time to replace the chain and sprockets on my 2014 300 XC-W and I was just curious what all of you are using or recommend?

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: New Chain & Sprockets

Post by dirtyboy »

I always use the DID X-ring chain. I also replace a lot of front 13T sprockets. Doesn't seem to matter much what the sprockets are, IMO. The chain is always the catalyst for rear sprocket replacement because I'd rather not replace a chain but not the sprockets. So a fancy super long life sprocket doesn't interest me.

Other chains from RK and others are good also if the X-ring is purchased.

downunder366
Contributor
Contributor

Post by downunder366 »

I've been running an SRT Pro Line Rear sprocket. It seems to be lasting quite a while and is a decent price.
Ryan

2018 KTM 350 XCF

Supported By - Cycle Works Foothills - FXR - Mongoose Machine - Dunlop

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Like dirtyboy mentioned, front sprockets wear faster than the rear or the chain itself. When I buy a new chain and sprockets, I usually buy 2 or three fronts at the same time. Replacing the fronts as soon as they show wear helps the more expensive pieces last longer.

I once broke an expensive gold RK x-ring chain my first day after mounting it. I sent in the warranty card when I bought it, so I contacted them hoping for a replacement. They asked for photos via email (which I provided), then would not respond to my inquiries afterward. :thumbsdown: I have not bought another since.

X-ring chains are undoubtedly the best, but lately I've just purchased quality o-ring chains to save some money. I don't think it's affecting my lap times.

-Jared
#44b

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I just installed a new RK XW-ring last week. I went for a ride and it stayed together. :D