Head work / Valve Seat Cutting

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
GWsXR250R
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Head work / Valve Seat Cutting

Post by GWsXR250R »

Hey Team,

Had a rough long weekend with the bike (2007 KTM 250 XCFW). Timing chain skipped and grenaded the whole top end, piston gouged, cylinder gouged, 3 bent valves and the other broke in half, valve seats destroyed.

So...... looking to possibly salvage the head by getting the valve seats recut. There's an old post on here from 2011 with some suggestions but I figured I would see if there was a more current list of preferred machine shops?

The cylinder is the next issue, can a gouged cylinder be repaired? If not where would be a good place to start looking for a new one? Have found a few online but was wondering if there may be spots I should check out first?

Valves, springs, guides, seals and all the goodies in between. Wiseco, kibblewhite, pro x? They all range in price but which would be best to put into my cleaned up or brand new head?

Depending on total costs will determine this bikes fate. If costs for rebuild are to great it will either be parted out or sold as is. What is the better option, selling piece by piece or selling the whole thing as is? Is there a dealer out there that will buy the bike for parts? Either way I'll be scraping pennies to get a new bike as both these options will not get much in return.

If you read all the way to this point thank you.

Your thoughts, opinions and advice will be appreciated.

GW

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Head work / Valve Seat Cutting

Post by cedric »

Oh man that sucks, sorry to hear about this. Guessing the hydraulic tensioner failed on you. Have a look on KTM talk for finding some used parts. If you are replacing the piston and cylinder anyway, consider a 280cc kit from one of the aftermarket companies.

If you decide to scrap the bike it will be worth far more as individual parts but it will take up much more of your time that way.

Good luck!

GWsXR250R
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by GWsXR250R »

Thanks Cedric, nailed it on the tensioner failure.

Since this is the second top end on this bike, the first one being the destroyed top end I have now. What are my concerns with failure in the bottom end?

I'm certainly concerned about putting more money in this bike for it to be worth nothing in the long run.

GW

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cycleworks »

I would suggest getting in touch with Jim from Skylark- call me at the shop if you cant find his number- he will be able to point you in the right direction!
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

GWsXR250R
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by GWsXR250R »

Thanks for the contact Allison! Jim is a great guy and reasonably priced for cylinder replating and repair.

Once I got the twisted up valves and carnage out of the Head I have two valve guides blown apart. So far it looks repairable and have some pricing from LRX Performance which seems reasonable for the amount of work needed.

KTM is not producing this model Cylinder Head and have none in stock.

I found a used Cylinder Head complete with Valves on EBay. It's from a 2007 250 SXF. The part numbers directly match my XCFW.

Does anyone for see a reason this Head would not work?

Your knowledge and opinions are appreciated

GW

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I'm almost certain that will work for you without issue. Best to check part numbers and do your research though. Does the head come with the camshaft carrier, or can you re-use your parts that are bedded in with your cams?

GWsXR250R
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by GWsXR250R »

The plan would be to reuse the parts from the original head.

GW