Valve Cover Bolts

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
GWsXR250R
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Valve Cover Bolts

Post by GWsXR250R »

Hey Team

No ride tonight so I thought I would do some bike maitnence

I decided to check the valve clearances. All is well. Went to put the head/valve cover back on and 2 of the bolts pulled the treads right out of the cam shaft retainer before they even started to get tension.

Is there a quick fix solution? Do I need to pull the whole camshaft retainer and have them re-tapped? Heli-coils inserted?

Help! :crazy:

Thoughts and knowledge is appreciated

GW

ttwest
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Valve Cover Bolts

Post by ttwest »

You could try to chase the threads and use bolts with three or four more threads. I can lend you a torque wrench if needed.

GWsXR250R
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by GWsXR250R »

I looked at the option of longer bolts but that will not work. With the valve cover off i turned the bolts in by hand and did catch some thread. But as I kept turning the bolt threads just lifted the remaining female threads right out.

What ever the insert/heli-coil that was in there just dislodged and are now completely gone.

GW

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

I have used time-serts on head bolts with no problems not sure have anything for your application. Last resort is clean the hole really well, fill 2/3 with job weld, drill and re tap. Have not tried this myself. Make sure to use a bottoming tap

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

heli-coil! They sell an off-brand version at parts source.

boogle2
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boogle2 »

I have stripped out swing rear axle adjuster bolts from a swing arm before. Took it to a shop in town and they used these keen-serts. Not sure why they preferred them over anything else. They worked great though, no issues.

I had it done by a shop so that the drill out and placement was spot on.

http://www.specialty-fasteners.co.uk/pr ... rt-inserts

GWsXR250R
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by GWsXR250R »

Thanks for the Tips Fellas

After some research, reading up on some threads and time and cost factored in I'm going to go with HeliCoils.

This was also what was recommended by my mechanic who did the rebuild last year.

Will update after completion in a week or so when I get back from Edmonton. Just in time for the long weekend.

:cheers:

GW

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

GWsXR250R wrote:Thanks for the Tips Fellas

After some research, reading up on some threads and time and cost factored in I'm going to go with HeliCoils.

This was also what was recommended by my mechanic who did the rebuild last year.

Will update after completion in a week or so when I get back from Edmonton. Just in time for the long weekend.

:cheers:

GW
What size are the bolts? I have a couple help coil kits. If I have the size you need you're welcome to them.
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

I was under the impression the theads were already repaired with heli coils, if they pulled out you cannot repair a second time with heli coils. Good luck

GWsXR250R
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by GWsXR250R »

Thanks for the Offer Boland,

Unfortunetly I'm out of town all next week and I really want the bike back in order for the long weekend. So I'm going to bite the bullet and give the bike the cam shaft retainer to my machanic to repair.

It will cost a few bucks but I know it will be done right!

"If there was only more damn time!"

GW