Safe, Secure on Trail, in Camp

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Petard
User
User

Safe, Secure on Trail, in Camp

Post by Petard »

I have a couple of questions regarding safety and security:

1. What tools and other equipment do you take with you on the trail when riding? Likely some food and drink, perhaps some warmer clothing...? What about first aid? And, in particular, what would you have along in case of mechanical trouble, breakdown, etc.?

2. If your bike broke down on the trail and you were unable to get it back to camp or the staging area, would you leave it unsecured? How would you secure it? Simply by concealment or do you carry a lock or other security mechanisms?

3. If you are going to be away from your bike at the staging area or you stay overnight in camp and plan to sleep, how do you secure your bike and other gear? Riding gear, such as helmets, clothes, etc., can be stowed in a vehicle, but what about the bike, ramps, and other things you might have?

Any other tips you have found to be helpful that I haven't asked about?

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Safe, Secure on Trail, in Camp

Post by RJHenry »

1. Start here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10747

2. Unsecured. You can move it off trail 20 feet and most people won't even notice it riding by. Move it 40 feet and you may not find it yourself :D

3. I use a tonneau cover and locking tailgate when I haul on the hitch. Alternately I use a cable and lock for the ramps when away and the bikes overnight. Like this: http://canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/kryptonit ... 3932p.html
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

JG2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JG2 »

I used to carry a SPOT GPS beacon but after two years I realized it wasn't working. Doh! Sent it back. Does anyone carry a similar device and if so, which one?

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

Most use a camelback with storage for tools. For tools I keep sockets, wrenchs, screwdrivers, zip ties, tire spoons and various other stuff. I do carry a small first aid kit as well.

When camping I use a big chain and lock (1/4" I think). My chain and lock woukd be extremely difficult to cut by anything that doesn't make a lot of noise (like a grinder).
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

timbruce
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by timbruce »

I use a In Reach device from Delorme satellite communicator. Has proven to be very handy but costs even when not in use.

I have enough tools to fix a broken chain, flat tires, spare levers, spare shifter, miscellaneous nuts and bolts, tie straps, duct tape, grip wire, electrical tape, wrenches, Allen keys, Philips screw driver, solid medical kit, fire starter, flash light, tow strap, extra snacks, water. I'm always prepared for way more then needed. Truth be told all of this stuff has come in handy in one way or another, rarely used on my own bike though. I've learned that small problems out there turn really big when your not well equipped. Also can destroy a ride really fast for you and your riding partners. Yes my bag is heavy but I have a hard time parting with anything out of it..

welcome to the club :thumbsup:

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

timbruce wrote:I use a In Reach device from Delorme satellite communicator. Has proven to be very handy but costs even when not in use.

I have enough tools to fix a broken chain, flat tires, spare levers, spare shifter, miscellaneous nuts and bolts, tie straps, duct tape, grip wire, electrical tape, wrenches, Allen keys, Philips screw driver, solid medical kit, fire starter, flash light, tow strap, extra snacks, water. I'm always prepared for way more then needed. Truth be told all of this stuff has come in handy in one way or another, rarely used on my own bike though. I've learned that small problems out there turn really big when your not well equipped. Also can destroy a ride really fast for you and your riding partners. Yes my bag is heavy but I have a hard time parting with anything out of it..

This is why I love riding with Tim "the rolling garage" Bruce :D :headbang:
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

boland wrote:
timbruce wrote:Truth be told all of this stuff has come in handy in one way or another, rarely used on my own bike though. I've learned that small problems out there turn really big when your not well equipped. Also can destroy a ride really fast for you and your riding partners. Yes my bag is heavy but I have a hard time parting with anything out of it..

This is why I love riding with Tim "the rolling garage" Bruce :D :headbang:
1) Josh has a healthy level of opportunism... though some (who shall remain unnamed) have foregone routine maintenance in favour of trailside repair. Don't be like ***********!!! :thumbsup:

2) Slip in another rock, Tim - we might be able to keep up then!
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

Petard
User
User

Post by Petard »

timbruce wrote:welcome to the club :thumbsup:
Looking forward to meeting everyone :cheers:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Automotives is an area I am pretty weak in, but I will take the advice and stock my camelback with some of this gear. Some sort of satellite communication sounds like a super good idea. First aid, too. A bit of food... Yep!

On my first ride, just days ago, any of this stuff could have been very helpful. We weren't exactly lost, but we weren't exactly sure where we were in relation to the road and the staging area, either. Luckily my bike started in the end, otherwise it could have been a sore lesson.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

timbruce wrote:I use a In Reach device from Delorme satellite communicator. Has proven to be very handy but costs even when not in use.

Jeez Tim that is alot of stuff, I need to get out riding with you more. :) Do you have room for a beef roast and a loaf of bread? makes for a great mid-ride snack. :D

outrgus
Writer
Writer

Post by outrgus »

A extra spark plug is always a good to have also.

Petard
User
User

Post by Petard »

I'm going to have to see some of these great suggestions. I think I might need a trailer to haul it all :lol: If I don't have even half of this stuff for the group ride, I should still be safe and secure :thinking:

JG2's suggestion of a beacon sounded like a good idea, in case you need to get found. Do mapping GPS's have such a function?

I was talking with some guys a while back that said you can get lost despite a GPS. Huh?

ttwest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ttwest »

What about taking something for Bear protection?

downunder366
Contributor
Contributor

Post by downunder366 »

Lots of great suggestions ^^

Don't ride alone, no matter how easy the trail is.
In addition to tools, I usually pack around a spare pair of gloves and a lighter too.
Ryan

2018 KTM 350 XCF

Supported By - Cycle Works Foothills - FXR - Mongoose Machine - Dunlop

Petard
User
User

Post by Petard »

ttwest wrote:What about taking something for Bear protection?
Excellent idea! It had occurred to me that possibility of an encounter is not to be dismissed. The bike noise should be scary enough, but you just never know.

This is getting to be a great resource thread :applause: