Safe, Secure on Trail, in Camp

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Petard
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Petard » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:32 pm

I have a couple of questions regarding safety and security:

1. What tools and other equipment do you take with you on the trail when riding? Likely some food and drink, perhaps some warmer clothing...? What about first aid? And, in particular, what would you have along in case of mechanical trouble, breakdown, etc.?

2. If your bike broke down on the trail and you were unable to get it back to camp or the staging area, would you leave it unsecured? How would you secure it? Simply by concealment or do you carry a lock or other security mechanisms?

3. If you are going to be away from your bike at the staging area or you stay overnight in camp and plan to sleep, how do you secure your bike and other gear? Riding gear, such as helmets, clothes, etc., can be stowed in a vehicle, but what about the bike, ramps, and other things you might have?

Any other tips you have found to be helpful that I haven't asked about?

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.

RJHenry
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Re: Safe, Secure on Trail, in Camp

Postby RJHenry » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:43 am

1. Start here:
http://forums.rmdra.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10747

2. Unsecured. You can move it off trail 20 feet and most people won't even notice it riding by. Move it 40 feet and you may not find it yourself :D

3. I use a tonneau cover and locking tailgate when I haul on the hitch. Alternately I use a cable and lock for the ramps when away and the bikes overnight. Like this: http://canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/kryptonite-bike-padlock-12-mm-0733932p.html
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.

JG2
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby JG2 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:52 am

I used to carry a SPOT GPS beacon but after two years I realized it wasn't working. Doh! Sent it back. Does anyone carry a similar device and if so, which one?

Advertisement

boland
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby boland » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:07 am

Most use a camelback with storage for tools. For tools I keep sockets, wrenchs, screwdrivers, zip ties, tire spoons and various other stuff. I do carry a small first aid kit as well.

When camping I use a big chain and lock (1/4" I think). My chain and lock woukd be extremely difficult to cut by anything that doesn't make a lot of noise (like a grinder).
KTM 250 XC
#184b
RMDRA Membership Director
I turn your name red

Advertisement

timbruce
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby timbruce » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:38 am

I use a In Reach device from Delorme satellite communicator. Has proven to be very handy but costs even when not in use.

I have enough tools to fix a broken chain, flat tires, spare levers, spare shifter, miscellaneous nuts and bolts, tie straps, duct tape, grip wire, electrical tape, wrenches, Allen keys, Philips screw driver, solid medical kit, fire starter, flash light, tow strap, extra snacks, water. I'm always prepared for way more then needed. Truth be told all of this stuff has come in handy in one way or another, rarely used on my own bike though. I've learned that small problems out there turn really big when your not well equipped. Also can destroy a ride really fast for you and your riding partners. Yes my bag is heavy but I have a hard time parting with anything out of it..

welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Advertisement

boland
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby boland » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:24 am

timbruce wrote:I use a In Reach device from Delorme satellite communicator. Has proven to be very handy but costs even when not in use.

I have enough tools to fix a broken chain, flat tires, spare levers, spare shifter, miscellaneous nuts and bolts, tie straps, duct tape, grip wire, electrical tape, wrenches, Allen keys, Philips screw driver, solid medical kit, fire starter, flash light, tow strap, extra snacks, water. I'm always prepared for way more then needed. Truth be told all of this stuff has come in handy in one way or another, rarely used on my own bike though. I've learned that small problems out there turn really big when your not well equipped. Also can destroy a ride really fast for you and your riding partners. Yes my bag is heavy but I have a hard time parting with anything out of it..

This is why I love riding with Tim "the rolling garage" Bruce :D :headbang:
KTM 250 XC
#184b
RMDRA Membership Director
I turn your name red

Advertisement

RJHenry
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby RJHenry » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:48 pm

boland wrote:
timbruce wrote:Truth be told all of this stuff has come in handy in one way or another, rarely used on my own bike though. I've learned that small problems out there turn really big when your not well equipped. Also can destroy a ride really fast for you and your riding partners. Yes my bag is heavy but I have a hard time parting with anything out of it..

This is why I love riding with Tim "the rolling garage" Bruce :D :headbang:

1) Josh has a healthy level of opportunism... though some (who shall remain unnamed) have foregone routine maintenance in favour of trailside repair. Don't be like ***********!!! :thumbsup:

2) Slip in another rock, Tim - we might be able to keep up then!
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

Advertisement

Petard
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Petard » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:23 pm

timbruce wrote:welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Looking forward to meeting everyone :cheers:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Automotives is an area I am pretty weak in, but I will take the advice and stock my camelback with some of this gear. Some sort of satellite communication sounds like a super good idea. First aid, too. A bit of food... Yep!

On my first ride, just days ago, any of this stuff could have been very helpful. We weren't exactly lost, but we weren't exactly sure where we were in relation to the road and the staging area, either. Luckily my bike started in the end, otherwise it could have been a sore lesson.

Advertisement

trailguy
RMDRA Lifetime Member
RMDRA Lifetime Member

Postby trailguy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:03 am

timbruce wrote:I use a In Reach device from Delorme satellite communicator. Has proven to be very handy but costs even when not in use.

Jeez Tim that is alot of stuff, I need to get out riding with you more. :) Do you have room for a beef roast and a loaf of bread? makes for a great mid-ride snack. :D

Advertisement

Hooligan
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Hooligan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:35 am

Nobody should be out riding without a camelbak. Food, you will have to experiment with to see what works for you. Personally I find that protein doesn't help me out on the trail. I require carbs, so a Mars bar or a granola bar works better.

Tools: Take only the common wrench sizes for your bike (typically 8, 10, 12) as well as a wrench large enough to loosen the rear axle. Also count on being able to loosen and readjust hand guards or bark busters as they often move in a crash and can impinge upon levers. A spare shifter is not a terrible idea.

Some duct tape and/or a packet of JB weld is also an excellent idea. My wife punched a hole in her TTR engine case and we were able to duct tape it up to get her off the trail safely. A small rag is invaluable for wiping things down prior to repair.

Some kind of tow or pull strap is also extremely useful. I made several out of sections of old tie-down straps. They fold up nice and compact.

Get yourself front and rear tugger straps to aid in hauling the bike up/over/out of tough situations.

Advertisement

Hooligan
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Hooligan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:41 am

With respect to navigation:

The club map is extremely helpful but it does have a number of errors/omissions that can be confusing to someone new to the terrain.

IMO a satellite system is overkill unless you are exploring unmapped areas/trails and will be going a long way off the beaten path. I run a Garmin GPS and have found that to be more than enough to know where I am and how various trails relate to each other. The Garmin desktop software allows you to see everything in the bigger picture as well as to edit trails.

I run a Garmin Oregon because it has a largish colour, touch screen yet is small enough to easily slip into a pocket. I find the larger models to be a bit too bulky to drag around on the trail. The Garmin base map is basically useless so I bought the Backroads Maps add-on, which is a detailed topographic map showing many off-road trails as well as all the terrain features. This makes navigation much easier.

Advertisement

outrgus
Writer
Writer

Postby outrgus » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:04 pm

A extra spark plug is always a good to have also.

Advertisement

Hooligan
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Hooligan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:37 pm

outrgus wrote:A extra spark plug is always a good to have also.

Yes, stinky, oily 2-strokes can't seem to make it through a ride without puking up a plug. :lol:

Advertisement

Petard
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Petard » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:54 pm

I'm going to have to see some of these great suggestions. I think I might need a trailer to haul it all :lol: If I don't have even half of this stuff for the group ride, I should still be safe and secure :thinking:

JG2's suggestion of a beacon sounded like a good idea, in case you need to get found. Do mapping GPS's have such a function?

I was talking with some guys a while back that said you can get lost despite a GPS. Huh?

Advertisement

ttwest
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby ttwest » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:43 pm

What about taking something for Bear protection?

Advertisement

Return to “Technical”