Road plated.

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
deltadee
User
User

Road plated.

Post by deltadee »

So I got the 200 and 300 road plated.

All the necessary dual sport doo-dads have been added. They don't seem like they will be in the way for once off the road.. will find out more on Saturday with a little jaunt out to Mclean.

But I was curious to see if any one else had there bikes set up for the road and had any input into what they find works the best.. currently I'm only really concerned with my rear blinkers taking a good beating once the bike is on its side.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Road plated.

Post by malcolmzilla »

Registered as a motorcycle? New or change to existing registration? What make? TIA
15 Yamaha YZ250FX, 270cc, cams
15 XC250
11 Berg 570, dualsport and supermoto
17 PW50
78ish CT70
Just another Dirt Donkey...

deltadee
User
User

Post by deltadee »

'13 KTM XC-W and a '13 Gasser EC300

Both had the option of Class 3-MC or Class 3-OHV. I just asked the registry to change the vehicles class, paid the difference cost more because you use the roads and then you just need to meet Alberta vehicle safety requirements. (reflectors, horn, signals, etc.).

I'm pretty sure all European bike's are imported this way.. the motocross edition ones perhaps not? I just asked the registry what the VIN allowed for the vehicle classes.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Cool, thanks for the information. Curious to see what SRD and CO's do when a smoker pings by em... Jet it lean! :lol:

Anecdotally, from experience, if you get a savvy cop they might really dig into the legality with you. Be polite and play dumb.
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70

ttwest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ttwest »

Both your bikes are totally illegal to put on the Road. If they were not imported into the country as a street-legal bikes to begin with.
you can add all the street legal stuff you want they are still illegal as far as Transport Canada is concerned..you can get insurance and registration but for it to be legal is another issue good luck trying to make a claim with the insurance if you damage or hurt somebody else. It's not worth the risk of getting your... Sued off. All the 2017 betas are imported into Canada as closed course competition motorcycles only. Even the RR - s Street models!

turbo2point3
Contributor
Contributor

Post by turbo2point3 »

I went through a few hoops to get my enduro on the street. It needed to pass a out of province inspection to get registration on a bike from BC. I needed DOT tires, horn, mirror, brake light switches and installed some signal lights for a day. Its legal and I ride beside cops and get all kinds of looks like thats not legal lol
002 mar25.jpg
old Husky
Headquarters
250s, 360, 400s
430s, 500s + 510s
a dozen cool bikes :)

LID
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LID »

What did you get for blinkers and stuff?
If it's like the current KTM blinkers they should be fine. I have a 2016 500EXC and the stock rear blinkers have taken a beating from trees, boots, and the ground, and never busted off.
2008 EXC was a different story, kicked them off all the time with lazy get on/offs so I got Sicass flush mount ones for that one.

LID

ttwest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ttwest »

It's my understanding that conservation officers are peace officers in Alberta and have the same powers.

deltadee
User
User

Post by deltadee »

Thanks LID, I got the Sicass kit for the 200 so I believe it's like the stock 500 stuff from what I looked at.

Going to have to change the rear lights on the GG as they didn't last the weekend, one slip in the snow and crunch on a tree.. we'll try some flush mounted style one's on the tail. Or at least remount them higher up on the fender.

Thanks for the advice ttwest, but the bikes are not illegal on the road, the NVIS for the bikes says they are dual sport, and properly equipped with Transport Canada required safety equipment. Its no different than any other motorcycle on the road. I've done my due diligence.

turbo2, really digging the Husky! gorgeous looking!

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

I'll ride my factory legal 'Berg around town, but from experience, a smart traffic cop can easily harsh your mellow on a gray area converted bike.

YMMV
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70

ttwest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ttwest »

I had a Factory legal 2017 beta 500 RR - s with nivs, insured and plated for the road. I found out the bike is not approved by Transport Canada, and illegal ride on the Road.
I don't see any of the bikes above listed on the transport Canada website as being legal roadworthy bikes. The bike must have the Transport Canada sticker .

deltadee
User
User

Post by deltadee »

I don't see any of the bikes above listed on the transport Canada website as being legal roadworthy bikes.
ttwest, Can you link me this list?

Didn't mean to spark an argument over legality. Just curious is all. All the reading I did through there regulations ans such I never came across a list that showed which vehicles are road legal.. just what was required to be road legal.

ttwest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ttwest »

It's their click on some of the highlights and you'll see the list. Call the insurance company not the broker and Transport Canada tell them what you did to the bike and see what they say. I've been down this road with a couple other bikes that's why I went with a new beta, which unfortunately did not work out either. If it has the Transport Canada sticker on it from New you're good to go.

turbo2point3
Contributor
Contributor

Post by turbo2point3 »

Thanks deltadee :thumbsup:

No bylaw on signal lights, hand signals are legal.
Take them off and save them?
I needed some for the sticky out of province inspection and they said take them off after if you want.
So i borrowed some from a friend off a old Kawi , i had a battery and all to make them work for a day lol.
87 signal lights.jpg

87 signals.jpg
old Husky
Headquarters
250s, 360, 400s
430s, 500s + 510s
a dozen cool bikes :)

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I think the rules on this have changed, or at least started to be enforced better, in the past 10 years or so. There is a big difference between what is 100% legal, and what you can (or could) get away with. I believe that ttwest is correct, and MalcomZilla alluded to knowing someone who has been hassled/fined about this. Having said that, lots of guys are getting away with being less than 100% legal.

Technically speaking, for a restricted use motorcycle to be converted to street legal status, it must pass an out of province inspection. One of the first things they look for is the Transport Canada sticker/status.

Disclaimer: All of the above is just what I think I know, but could be "alternative facts".