Road plated.

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
ttwest
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Road plated.

Post by ttwest »

Signal lights became mandatory on 1/1 72 must be kept on the bike to be legal.
Last edited by ttwest on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ttwest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ttwest »

:crazy:
I hope you don't hurt somebody while riding your dirt bike on the road. :)
Last edited by ttwest on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

This got me curious, so i did some digging.
If the bike had a closed course competition sticker on it when new, it will never be legal no matter how you get around it to plate and insure it. Betas are a good example of not legal. Also, Husquavarna is not on the list.

This site lists the bikes that Transport Canada recognizes and the various rules to comply.
If the bike is not on the list it can not be legal in the eyes of the government federally.

Now, if that illegal bike was ever involved in any accident, you may pay bigtime for the illegality of the bike. i am unsure why Insurance companies do not have this list and why they would ever illegally insure a bike for road use.
Weird.

As for we do things daily that are 'illegal', those things like spitting and jay walking will not result in your personal and financial life being ruined. :thinking:

Links:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/ ... ion8_0.htm

http://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/ ... ations.htm
Last edited by Spinalguy on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Lots of good info and experience floating around on here, I find it interesting. I was seriously considering plating an closed course vehicle, but I may reconsider.

I wonder if my wife will let me buy one of those awesome new KTM 500 EXC? :cheers:

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

AJRJ wrote:Lots of good info and experience floating around on here, I find it interesting. I was seriously considering plating an closed course vehicle, but I may reconsider.

I wonder if my wife will let me buy one of those awesome new KTM 500 EXC? :cheers:
That's my take away from this, too. If you want a dirt bike on the road, the EXC is pretty much it, unless you're willing to accept compromises of some sort.

ttwest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ttwest »

17 exc ,no kick starter and terrible suspension ,according to kreft moto xplor video. I was going to buy one until I researched the suspension sounds worse than the 4cs.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

ttwest wrote:17 exc ,no kick starter and terrible suspension ,according to kreft moto xplor video. I was going to buy one until I researched the suspension sounds worse than the 4cs.
Hmm.. While I don't know anyone with the new Xplor fork, I would definitely not take a suspension companies word on how good it is or isn't :D

I was happy to get the only year of 450 XCF (2013) with the new motor and the ability to run a kick starter in the side of the case. Almost 4 years and 250 hours later there has never been a situation where I needed it yet. Definitely don't let that scare you away. I have a funny feeling ten years from now, you won't see nearly as many. One of the favourite things I read when this was a big debate years ago was referencing removing the crank handle from cars :lol:

ttwest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ttwest »

My decision was not based off kreft alone . :)
Last edited by ttwest on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

I have my 2016 FE350 registered and insured for street but have no intentions of riding it on the road. My hope is that it keeps me from getting a ticket if I'm jumping from one trail to the next on the road. The difference in price was either zero or so small I don't care and it's insured for full coverage so if it falls in the water then insurance will rebuild it or write it off and replace with the current model year, including all mods.

orangekoolaid
User
User

Post by orangekoolaid »

how did you manage to get a road plate for it?

I walked into the registry with the NVIS for my TE300 and they punched in the VIN, handed me a registration that says OHV. I wanted to get my 16 500 XCW registered as motorcycle, I'll be just using it to link trails but the illusion of street legality would be nice.

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

orangekoolaid wrote:how did you manage to get a road plate for it?

I walked into the registry with the NVIS for my TE300 and they punched in the VIN, handed me a registration that says OHV. I wanted to get my 16 500 XCW registered as motorcycle, I'll be just using it to link trails but the illusion of street legality would be nice.
I went to the registry in Westhills and asked to register my street bike. She typed in the vin and it wouldn't let her register it so she asked the lady beside her what to do and she said "override it". That was it. I even used my old dirt plate.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

SteveOg wrote:
orangekoolaid wrote:how did you manage to get a road plate for it?

I went to the registry in Westhills and asked to register my street bike. She typed in the vin and it wouldn't let her register it so she asked the lady beside her what to do and she said "override it". That was it. I even used my old dirt plate.
Yep that's what you do. :thumbsup: