Do you Rekluse?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.

Do You Rekluse?

Heck Ya
50%
Heck No
32%
They Alright
18%

Total votes: 34

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Do you Rekluse?

Post by dirtyboy »

Rider Eh! wrote:I should also add I wouldn't rekluse a two stroke.
x2

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

I've ran Rekluse on 250 and 300 2T with good results, still get all the same anti stall and oh sludge I'm halfway up this crappy muddy hill in the wrong gear-type benefits.

But yes benefits way more apparent on 4T's.
Bikeless....

Waxy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Waxy »

I absolutely LOVE my Rekluse.

I freely admit that it likely hasn't improved my riding skills, obviously not my clutch work lol, but it has made riding infinitely more enjoyable for me. I can ride over and up stuff that I couldn't before, which has opened up new single tracks for me. I don't stall anymore and I'm stuck and bulldogging my bike less, so I'm far less tired at the end of the day.

Bottom line for me is it makes me "better" rider and I have more fun riding, and that's what it's all about.

Waxy

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Hooligan wrote:THIS, in spades. I rode pavement for over 25 years and a result know next to nothing about slipping a clutch. The Rekluse allows me to ride difficult, technical terrain without constantly stalling and otherwise sucking at it. Its all about the fun factor and I could care less about developing clutch skills.

I would not ever buy a new bike without first installing a Rekluse.
Ha ha, you guys have it exactly. The most outspoken people against Rekluse usually fall in to two catogories; Group A that can't/won't follow the install instructions, and Group B that says "Well so and so <Insert world class trials Rider name> doesn't use one, learn to use your clutch" The reality is that some of the fastest riders in AB use them, If that means anything. It's probably not because they can't figure clutch work out...

They don't slip more than a manual clutch, I'd argue they slip less because they do it perfectly, and only when required. it does not make your bike an automatic transmission gearbox though. The anti stall characteristics can be invaluable, especially on 4 strokes that like to flame out at low RPM.

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

AJRJ wrote:
Hooligan wrote:THIS, in spades. I rode pavement for over 25 years and a result know next to nothing about slipping a clutch. The Rekluse allows me to ride difficult, technical terrain without constantly stalling and otherwise sucking at it. Its all about the fun factor and I could care less about developing clutch skills.

I would not ever buy a new bike without first installing a Rekluse.
Ha ha, you guys have it exactly. The most outspoken people against Rekluse usually fall in to two catogories; Group A that can't/won't follow the install instructions, and Group B that says "Well so and so <Insert world class trials Rider name> doesn't use one, learn to use your clutch" The reality is that some of the fastest riders in AB use them, If that means anything. It's probably not because they can't figure clutch work out...

They don't slip more than a manual clutch, I'd argue they slip less because they do it perfectly, and only when required. it does not make your bike an automatic transmission gearbox though. The anti stall characteristics can be invaluable, especially on 4 strokes that like to flame out at low RPM.
Category 3. every decent rider on the planet.

Wait, did you just criticize people for referring to people that don't use one (Chris Birch) but then refer to fast guys in AB that do use one???? (Jason Schrage, but he doesn't count that Honda needs all the help it can get). Dementia setting in there buddy, perhaps as good an argument for a reckluse there is.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

ttwest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ttwest »

I asked my eight year old daughter if she wanted me to put one in her 65sx.......... don't be silly dad!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

ttwest wrote:I asked my eight year old daughter if she wanted me to put one in her 65sx.......... don't be silly dad!
Best reason right there. :smirk:

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

For years I rode with a Rekluse in my bikes. Having one helped with my hands and elbows to last longer on a ride than they would have otherwise. Fast forward a few years and my elbows are in worse condition than ever and I have switched to a bike that many say you "must have a Rekluse" in. So but I've gone the other way. I switched to a Clake One Light Clutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sVFOyV ... e=youtu.be

Since a 5 year old is stronger than me, having the Clake has saved my riding. Even with the Rekluse I still would use the clutch to flare the motor for obstacles or coming out of corners etc and my hands and elbows hated me for it. With the Clake setup, I can ride for hours with no issues and stalling isn't an issue at all beyond normal rider error. Best of all, it can be transferred from one bike to the next.

All that said, if you want to ride with a Rekluse, a Mid-West lever, a Clake or leave it stock, just do it. To those that criticize you for it, tell them to go pump sand. It's your bike and your money (unless you're sponsored in which case you take what you're given and be glad for it :thumbsup: ).
The voices are back. Awesome!

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

dirtyboy wrote:
ttwest wrote:I asked my eight year old daughter if she wanted me to put one in her 65sx.......... don't be silly dad!
Best reason right there. :smirk:
So people now think eight year old's know best? When my daughter was eight she thought that Honey Nut Cheerios for breakfast, lunch and dinner with Froot Loops for desert was a balanced diet. Thankfully I set her straight and she has turned out to be well adjusted 21 year old.

If anyone was wondering, a well balanced diet consists of Frosted Flakes for breakfast, Honey Nut Cheerios for lunch and Sugar Crisp for dinner with Froot Loops for desert.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I think you are Coo Coo for Cocopuffs. :D

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

thirtyseven wrote:Category 3. every decent rider on the planet.

Wait, did you just criticize people for referring to people that don't use one (Chris Birch) but then refer to fast guys in AB that do use one???? (Jason Schrage, but he doesn't count that Honda needs all the help it can get). Dementia setting in there buddy, perhaps as good an argument for a reckluse there is.
Ummm, I didn't mention any names; You did :D Pretty sure that was the exact example I was using, thanks for demonstrating for the masses

:cheers:

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Ha ha,.

Edit to add: semantics my friend, semantics. You named by association!

Seriously, a recluse helps in certain situations, hinders in others. Each riders choice based on weaknesses and strength s of the bike/rider combo.

Hunny nut Cheerios are always appropriate.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

thirtyseven wrote:Ha ha,.

Edit to add: semantics my friend, semantics. You named by association!

Seriously, a recluse helps in certain situations, hinders in others. Each riders choice based on weaknesses and strength s of the bike/rider combo.

Hunny nut Cheerios are always appropriate.
:D

ttwest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ttwest »

Training wheels :smirk:

boogle2
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boogle2 »

I don't really see the point of rekluses, now that e-starts are a big thing and modern 2T's are so good. The 300's keep running so low it almost feels like double digit RPM. And so much power that second gear is just a jack of all trades.

I guess if you are really in love with your 250 4T then maybe, but if you're at the point of needing a rekluse because you find yourself running out of jam on a hill climb, maybe the answer is more jam?