Do you Rekluse?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.

Do You Rekluse?

Heck Ya
50%
Heck No
32%
They Alright
18%

Total votes: 34

Dave P
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Do you Rekluse?

Post by Dave P »

So who has em? Love em? Hate em? Never Go Back?

Looking at installing one on my YZ450f. I do about 2/3 trail riding, 1/3 track riding.

Just wanted to get some feedback on what they work well for, and what area they lack in.

Thanks,

Dave

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Do you Rekluse?

Post by malcolmzilla »

Newer Rekluser here...

On my 15 YZ250FX... 270cc kit and hotcams stage making the bike a bit more tractory, did the Rekluse last of the mods, and really, in hindsight, it will be my 1st mod on next bike.

For woods, technical the anti-stall behavior sure helps cover off clutching mistakes, regain a loss of drive on climbs, and really frees you up to focus on the trail obstacles, although it will freewheel unless you blip the throttle... After spending a year on a TE250 before the FX's, I was fine with this aspect, and was often clutching on downhills prior to the Rekluse anyhow. On the track sure helped (me) with corner entry speed.

The out of the box setup on the EXP 3.0 on my 270 clutches perfect, can do enduro turns and low speed throttle wheelies no hand clutching.
I did miss the lack of compression brake when stopped on hills, so I added a left hand rear Ox cable brake.

Buddy has a base kit on his 14 YZ450 and he said its completely transformed it for bush riding - he tried maps, gearing, flywheel weight, etc prior...

Considering a base kit for my old 250FX "B" bike, that I still rip on occasionally.
15 Yamaha YZ250FX, 270cc, cams
15 XC250
11 Berg 570, dualsport and supermoto
17 PW50
78ish CT70
Just another Dirt Donkey...

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

I have a Core EXP on my 450, but no Rekluse on my 300. Probably won't Rekluse the 300.

I loved the Rekluse on the big 4 stroke though. It made it into the ultimate cheater bike! It will climb almost anything, even if you stopped in the middle of the hill. Only issues I had with it is the lack of compression braking when the engine is off resulting in rolling backward on hills and no bulldogging capabilities.

The 300's great clutch feel and resistance to stalling makes the Rekluse unnecessary.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Rekluse FTW. Only downside is old dudes calling you lame for running a Rekluse. Lucky I have alligator skin. :cheers:
Bikeless....

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

If it is going to make your riding experience better than run it and don't worry what the naysayers have to whine about. I run the cover for the extra beefy protection in the rocks, but don't run nor do I like the engagement of the rekluse while manually over riding the clutch for technical riding. That being said, its probably the same outcome to take your finger off the clutch and let the rekluse do the work....

If I was running a 450 I would run one and adapt my riding style to accommodate.

Xcfjohn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xcfjohn »

Hey guys I was just going to post about this. Well it's tax return time and I'm thinking of buying one for my 2016 XCFW 350. Has anyone fitted one to one of these bikes I would love to know what you think of it. It's a big bit of cash so I'm a bit undecided at the moment.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Xcfjohn wrote:Hey guys I was just going to post about this. Well it's tax return time and I'm thinking of buying one for my 2016 XCFW 350. Has anyone fitted one to one of these bikes I would love to know what you think of it. It's a big bit of cash so I'm a bit undecided at the moment.
What happened to your dream of a 300XC, Airforks and Podiums?

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Xcfjohn wrote:Hey guys I was just going to post about this. Well it's tax return time and I'm thinking of buying one for my 2016 XCFW 350. Has anyone fitted one to one of these bikes I would love to know what you think of it. It's a big bit of cash so I'm a bit undecided at the moment.
I had one on my 2012 350 XCF-W, which isn't much different than the '16's. If you like Rekluse's you'll like it on the 2016 350XCF-W.

My words of advice for most anyone with a Rekluse. When you set it up, set the gap so there is as much drag as you can (reduced gap). This will make the clutch feel as close to a normal clutch as possible. When I set the gap, I warm the bike up (this reduces the oil viscosity), then slowly back the slave adjuster out until the bike is about to roll off the side stand.

And Dobi, when you rode my 450, there was too much slip, which is probably part of the reason you really didn't like it.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Xcfjohn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xcfjohn »

Dobi wrote:
I think you have the wrong guy I've never wanted a a 300.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Xcfjohn wrote:
Dobi wrote:
I think you have the wrong guy I've never wanted a a 300.
You are right. I was confused with the other John from Okotoks

Dave P
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dave P »

Thanks for the reply's guys.

Here goes nothing.
Attachments
Rekluse.jpg

Xcfjohn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xcfjohn »

I've done a search on YouTube but I can't seem to find the answer. How does a rekluse work on a rocky hill climb? Do you just put it in 2nd and go no clutch feathering needed?

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Yes or first, depending on speed, traction etc. You can still operate the clutch as normally if you want to lift the wheel, etc. Or if you're on a 450 you just twist a little harder for wheelies!
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

I run a rekluse on 450xcf, only way I could get the bike to work. The biggest thing people tend to ignore is the springs supplied in the kit. I went with lighter springs and treat mine as more of an anti-stall device rather than a slipper clutch. Works much better for me this way. I also used heavier weights with the lighter springs. This to me is much more important than gap in the clutch.
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

I should also add I wouldn't rekluse a two stroke.
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R