Tech Tip - Servicing your suspension linkage

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Tech Tip - Servicing your suspension linkage

Post by Brass »

I have been servicing bike suspension linkages wrong my entire life!!

My first linkage bike was a 1981 CR125 and from 1981 until this week I have always service them with the bike on a bike stand. Some of you may already know there is an easier way. For those that don't, try this. Lay the bike on it's side! Crazy huh!!

I found that laying a KTM on it's left side allows easy access to the bolts and you will never again struggle with raising/lowering the swingarm while trying to peek in to see if the holes are aligned and slip the bolts in. Just be sure to align the cutouts on the bolt heads with the indents when reassembling.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled internet browsing.
The voices are back. Awesome!

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Tech Tip - Servicing your suspension linkage

Post by malcolmzilla »

Good tip, I service the linkages and its a pain, never thought of laying it over, thanks.
15 Yamaha YZ250FX, 270cc, cams
15 XC250
11 Berg 570, dualsport and supermoto
17 PW50
78ish CT70
Just another Dirt Donkey...

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I go one step further and put the bike upside down. :blush: I typically have the tank off when I do this....

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Never found it difficult, assuming you have a lift stand. I put my bike on the lift stand raise it up nice and high, put another bike stand under the rear wheel. Sit on my stool and raise lower with my lift stand.

The other option is don't service them till they are bearings are falling apart and you're on a trip (say to Moab). If you've bring the right friends on the trip, they'll just do it for you while you drink a beer.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I like to avoid the entire issue and run a PDS equipped bike.

deltadee
User
User

Post by deltadee »

Serviced my first linkage this year. All previous bike were PDS.

All went well except.... it appeared the rocker arm had taken one too many unprotected bashes on some rock... Look more like () less like O .. so had to replace the whole piece not just bearings :thumbsdown:

All in all was very fun :applause: and now I need to fab up some sort of linkage protection, for that fancy new rocker arm

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Dobi wrote:I go one step further and put the bike upside down.....
That's a good idea but 4 strokes have that silly vent in the valve cover that lets all the oil drain out and it would make a mess on my garage slippers :thumbsdown:
350scott wrote: .... don't service them till they are bearings are falling apart and you're on a trip (say to Moab). If you've bring the right friends on the trip, they'll just do it for you while you drink a beer.
I know my Moab friends would do that for me, BUT, they would point and laugh at me even more than they already do. 'Cause that's what good friends do :cheers:
cedric wrote:I like to avoid the entire issue and run a PDS equipped bike.
Possibly the best linkage tech tip right there!!
The voices are back. Awesome!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

deltadee wrote:Serviced my first linkage this year. All previous bike were PDS.

All went well except.... it appeared the rocker arm had taken one too many unprotected bashes on some rock... Look more like () less like O .. so had to replace the whole piece not just bearings :thumbsdown:

All in all was very fun :applause: and now I need to fab up some sort of linkage protection, for that fancy new rocker arm
I have a guard and a link/guard for sale in the classifieds if interested.

Giles
Writer
Writer

Post by Giles »

Hey Cedric, do you do anything to the PDS shock?
Just curious as I have a 2014 300XCW and I haven't done a darn thing to it.......?

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Give the shock the occasional fluid change, and lube the pivots with Bel Ray waterproof grease once in a while seems to be all it asks for. Does that answer your question?

Giles
Writer
Writer

Post by Giles »

Sure does, thanks!

IanInCalgary
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by IanInCalgary »

cedric wrote:Give the shock the occasional fluid change, and lube the pivots with Bel Ray waterproof grease once in a while seems to be all it asks for. Does that answer your question?
The service manual indicates the Heim joints are Teflon-coated and should not be lubricated with grease or other lubricants or it will dissolve the Teflon. About the only service to perform on the Heim joints is to make sure the exterior is clean.

Ian

golarge
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by golarge »

I just buy a new bike. Problem solved.
Yup. Got a new one.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

IanInCalgary wrote:
The service manual indicates the Heim joints are Teflon-coated and should not be lubricated with grease or other lubricants or it will dissolve the Teflon. About the only service to perform on the Heim joints is to make sure the exterior is clean.

Ian
Not totally sure its true or not, but I have read again and again that Bel Ray waterproof grease does not harm the teflon. So far so good. Either way the heim joints last a long time and are not too hard to swap out.