WP AER Forks

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
downunder366
Contributor
Contributor

WP AER Forks

Post by downunder366 »

No doubt there are some bikes getting around with the WP AER forks now. Has anyone had issues with them in the cold?
I had heard that people were having issues with them in Snow Bikes. Some people were going to a spring conversion.

Talked to a suspension tech and apparently there is a seal that rolls which then collapses the fork.

What are your thoughts on these forks? Allot better in stock form or is it all hype?
Ryan

2018 KTM 350 XCF

Supported By - Cycle Works Foothills - FXR - Mongoose Machine - Dunlop

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: WP AER Forks

Post by dirtyboy »

No problems with my AER48 forks and they have had quite a bit of winter use. I feel like my bike has an updated quad ring (seal) from the factory.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Have not had any issue's with mine. The 2016 FE and the Euro 2016 SX models had issue's mostly in the cold with the quad seal failing at times. KTM came out with an updated seal for the 2017's. I know Pro-Action has a spring conversion kit that turns them into a spring assist fork like some of the Factory guys are currently running in SX.
These are by far the best stock WP forks ever as I have owned all of them having raced KTM's the last 35 years. The only stock fork that came close to these was the 50mm conventional Marozocchi that was stock on my 1997 SX 250.

downunder366
Contributor
Contributor

Post by downunder366 »

Thanks for the feedback. I got my hands on a set of them for my 2016 350XCF.
Ryan

2018 KTM 350 XCF

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

downunder366 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I got my hands on a set of them for my 2016 350XCF.
Most offroaders end up a couple/few psi lower than recommended psi. If you want them softer/plusher don't go to low with the air pressure, instead back off the Compression clicker and/or lower the oil height. You still need to bleed the air side just like the damping side after every ride.
The AER forks are 12mm longer than 4CS and bladder forks so I recommend starting with them set on the 3rd line at the top triple clamp.

downunder366
Contributor
Contributor

Post by downunder366 »

trailguy wrote:
downunder366 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I got my hands on a set of them for my 2016 350XCF.
Most offroaders end up a couple/few psi lower than recommended psi. If you want them softer/plusher don't go to low with the air pressure, instead back off the Compression clicker and/or lower the oil height. You still need to bleed the air side just like the damping side after every ride.
The AER forks are 12mm longer than 4CS and bladder forks so I recommend starting with them set on the 3rd line at the top triple clamp.

Ah perfect.
I would think the temp of the air in the fork may rise during riding. Have you checked to see if the air pressure changes (higher) which may change the characteristics of the forks during your ride? I have access to Nitrogen which should help with this. Maybe its a non issue..
Ryan

2018 KTM 350 XCF

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

downunder366 wrote:
trailguy wrote:

Ah perfect.
I would think the temp of the air in the fork may rise during riding. Have you checked to see if the air pressure changes (higher) which may change the characteristics of the forks during your ride? I have access to Nitrogen which should help with this. Maybe its a non issue..
The pressure does rise slightly, but it is not really noticable. Just to be clear, you are not bleeding down the air in the main air chamber after every ride. There is a separate bleeder on the fork cap on the air side.