Rubber Particles Inside Inner Tube

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Rubber Particles Inside Inner Tube

Post by dirtyboy »

Yes it happens when the tube is dry and it rubs on the tire. I use a talc powder on the tube before mounting but it doesn't completely solve the issue. It's better though.

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Yeah, like dirtyboy said. It's the tube and tire wearing against one another. More noticeable the longer your tube has been in the tire.

I use a generous amount of silicone lube. Still notice wear on the sides of the tube if I've had the tire for awhile.
-Jared
#44b

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

If I understand, you're asking about the little balls inside the tube? I believe those are from the mold release agent that combines with moisture and make little "snowballs" as it gathers inside the tube. I've seen this myself a couple of times. Sometimes it seems like there's a bit of stuff rolling around in there.

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Braap791 »

Use Pam spray it's cheap and readily avaliable.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Talc works fine. I've never had an issue with water or mounting lube, and it definitely works to decrease tube wear. I prefer the Walmart size bottle of baby powder, cheap plus I smell great after mounting a set. :D Silicone lube would work well too,it's a requirement for bib mousses, but probably overkill for tubes.

All I ever use to mount tires is a windex sized spray bottle filled wih water and a teaspoon of dish soap? If you're fighting with the tire more than that, you're probably doing it wrong. :cheers:

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

I have had little rubber balls inside some of my tubes also. Nothing I ever worried about.

Used most of the stuff mentioned here. Been using silicone spray for the last 5 years to lube tubes and tires prior to mounting. No mess and works really well. Still get some tube wear and dust in the tire when changing but not a concern for HD tubes and I usually replace the tube after 2 tires. You can get the silicone spray at canadian tire or most auto parts stores. I usually get a couple a seasons out of a can. I also is a great maintenance item for rubber seals on car doors and sunroofs to help seal and protect the rubber.
#Z3B

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I use a product called electrician wire pulling lube. It lasts incredibly well and doesn't break down in water or heat. I use it on mousse tubes as well. It comes in a 2l jug for under $20. I find it does help with the pinch flats. I normally don't get flats running UHD bridgestone tubes.