Can I borrow your fork seal tools?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Smokey510
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Can I borrow your fork seal tools?

Post by Smokey510 »

I have a 2015 Yamaha YZ250FX.

Both of my fork seals are leaking and I'm trying to do them on the cheap. I'm going to try to clean the seals and then just refill that one oil only. If that doesn't work, I'll be looking to do a full rebuild.

If you have tools I can borrow, that would be really nifty.

Thanks!

deltadee
User
User

Re: Can I borrow your fork seal tools?

Post by deltadee »

Not sure what others think about this but.......

I've always just used a pop bottle, cut to the size you need lots of soap and water... the flat bit right where the label sits :thumbsup:

Smokey510
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Smokey510 »

deltadee wrote:Not sure what others think about this but.......

I've always just used a pop bottle, cut to the size you need lots of soap and water... the flat bit right where the label sits :thumbsup:
eh? I'm not understanding?

I need to refill the oil which takes tools, yo!

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

I believe Delta is suggesting using a plastic pop bottle to clean your seals. Cut the plastic bottle so that you have a hook and slip it under the seal lip like in this vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGno_lYGjJU
The voices are back. Awesome!

deltadee
User
User

Post by deltadee »

Oh Yea I totally mis-read what tools you were requiring..

Smokey510
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Smokey510 »

Brass wrote:I believe Delta is suggesting using a plastic pop bottle to clean your seals. Cut the plastic bottle so that you have a hook and slip it under the seal lip like in this vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGno_lYGjJU

I'm going to get the risk racing fork seal tool so that's covered.

What I'm missing is the wrench to open the forks to drain/fill the oil, along with the rest of the tools if I do a full rebuild.

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

You often don't need as many tools as the manual makes you think you need. I will say some tools definitely make it easier and will recommend that you don't force anything. If it's not easy to do, stop, rethink, and maybe wait/buy the tool.

I'll take a peak as I might have an old fork cap tool from when I rode Japanese. Might be the same one.

The wrenches once the fork is apart are generally pretty normal, or you can fab something yourself to work.

That being said, I'm more familiar with the 4CS forks. Been a long time since I took apart Japanese bike suspension.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

The Kayaba dual chamber need a tool for the top outer chamber, and another special one for the inner chamber if you're getting into that.

A large crescent will open the outer to allow a fork seal change / outer service on the cheap, iirc a rod holder and a 15mm wrench, 17mm socket, a pick for the seal circlip. You can cut a rod holder out of scrap plastic, seal driver out of PVC. Oil level is added by volume so a measuring cup is close-ish.

I can loan you my extra MP outer tool... I drink Pilsner. :lol:

The TBT YouTube videos are good.

Unless you have a reason to, I recommend not getting into the inner chamber on a seal service, the fill and bleed for it is a bugger and it should stay clean for quite some time - remove the whole assembly and hang it upright to the side in a clean spot.