Singletrack in the dark

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
bombdrop
User
User

Singletrack in the dark

Post by bombdrop »

Anyone do much single track in the dark? What are you using for lights? Thinking of a night mission in mclean next week if anyone is intrested.

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Singletrack in the dark

Post by Braap791 »

Unless you can light up the night with a decent light setup it could be a slow go especially anywhere there are slippery roots etc.the stock headlight might as well be a candle there are a few guys on here who have some pretty sweet light setups. Hope they chime in.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

For my last couple night rides, my Squadron S2 is ok for slow speed stuff, my old Squadron 4 pot is a bit better than it on my other bike.
Might add my helmet light for lighting up the drop offs, tight turns, etc but it doesn't seem super necessary with these modern ish lights. Have a backup plan in case the main light poops the sheets.

bombdrop
User
User

Post by bombdrop »

I've got one of the task racing lights wired to the bike as well as a couple other led's I'm going to try. Also keep a few flashlights just in.case.
The task light worked pretty good last winter, here is a short vid..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHcGNN_j3sh/

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Cyclops lighting. I use the same LED light on handlebar and helmet. Works great and is reasonably priced. My stock headlight on the bike is just to avoid tickets. Although with the helmet light it isn't too bad. I was thinking of switching out the bulb to LED from cyclops to avoid carrying the handlebar light.

If you call Cyclops will give 10% or 15% discount for RMDRA members.

bombdrop
User
User

Post by bombdrop »

Nice! :thumbsup:

LID
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LID »

Have done a few night rides this fall, and plan to do a few more

Bought the Baja Designs XL Pro and can do lots of sections at daytime speeds. This light is amazing

Lid
Mark Williams
2016 500EXC

bombdrop
User
User

Post by bombdrop »

So took out the gopro for a night ride on the weekend. It dosent really work great in the dark but it's no too bad. The lights I'm using now I got off ebay for $10 each. I have 2 velcro'd to my helmet haha. The first night we did a 40km loop in the dark.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLq5liVjNQg/[url][/url]

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Cheap Chinese 18W lightbar mounted high on the bars (important to clear fender and provide light over hills and drops) with spot and flood LED's and run a 10W LED light mounted to my helmet. I can do daytime speeds through the normal and tight stuff. Only slow a bit on the higher speed stuff due to light throw.

Helmet light powered by RC Lipo batteries placed in my backpack in a hard case (so they don't explode)

bombdrop
User
User

Post by bombdrop »

Is your light bar powering off the battery? Is it always on or switched? 2t or 4t?

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

bombdrop wrote:Is your light bar powering off the battery? Is it always on or switched? 2t or 4t?
:thinking:

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

bombdrop wrote:Is your light bar powering off the battery? Is it always on or switched? 2t or 4t?

Yes. It's switched and I attempt to run it only when the bike is running. At night when we stop I have my helmet light going 100% of the time. I use the lightbar only on night rides or to make Fish and Feathers happy.

I know the 2016+ XC-F's are very limited in power generation. I have yet to have an issue though. I also carry a home-made set of jumper cables so my buddies trusty yamahas can start my KTM if need be =)

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Shibby! wrote:I know the 2016+ XC-F's are very limited in power generation.
Which XCF are you on Shibby? I'm curious if I should attempt an LED on my 450. I never had the nerve on my 2013, but it ran the fan through all conditions, and that should use more power? I am going to put in a switch on my fan circuit, so if I need the light, I can shut down the fan if need be.

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

2016 350XC-F

I also have the Trailtech Fan on an auto switch with low temp setting. 88C I think.

No issues.

I haven't used it a ton, but for the few night rides I've done, there has been no problems. The last one ended at nearly 2AM.

If you want to be on the safe side, run a Lipo battery in a hard case. They don't weigh much and will power a 18W LED for quite a long time. My larger battery will power my 10W for 9 hours. My smaller battery goes for about 3.5-4.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »