YZ 250 Flywheel

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
teamyz

YZ 250 Flywheel

Post by teamyz »

Hey guys, new to this forum, looking to pull my flywheel on my yz to spin my stator to get a little more power before my big bore kit shows up. wondering if anyone has any tricks since i do not have a fly wheel puller.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: YZ 250 Flywheel

Post by Dobi »

not sure I would want to attempt it without a puller. Trying to pry it off would likely result in damage to the case. The pullers are fairly cheap and can cover multiple bikes. I have one for a KTM that you could use, not sure it would work though....

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I think I have the puller to fit your bike, but I would question the wisdom of advancing the timing on a bike that is already pretty highly tuned. You will likely need race gas and may damage your engine anyway. Is that what you mean by "spin the stator"?

teamyz

Post by teamyz »

Yea I was going to spin the stator in order to advance time just a little bit. I've read many forums and lots of people say if you spin your stator 1/16th of a inch counter clockwise you make a little more top end power with no effect to bottom end. Was going to try to see what the effects are like. What would the negatives be to this??

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

What would the negatives be to this?
If you push it too far...

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Will you get "more power" or just change its characteristics?
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

5Lgreenback
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 5Lgreenback »

I retarded the timing on my bike (but I have a 295 kit) and I still have more bottom end than I need and it did an amazing job of smoothing out the power band. I would recommend this for riding trails, advancing the timing is likely going to make your bike more difficult and tiring to ride. Although I didn't have to remove my flywheel to do it :confused:

teamyz

Post by teamyz »

Yea I actually retarded my timing a little bit. Went for a test ride today and it felt really good. Gonna take it out to trails tomorrow