That tire thing again ...

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Giles
Writer
Writer

That tire thing again ...

Post by Giles »

Hey gang, time for new tires AGAIN and I just wanted to see what everyone is running this year and if there are any new tires that are standing out.

I currently run the IRC M5B on the rear in the 130 size and in all honestly for the vast majority of the riding around here I find it pretty hard to beat......I am thinking of trying a Kenda Equilibrium, anybody using these and if so what do you think? I've heard some love them and others can't stand them.....

Where I am really struggling is on the front tire....I've tried a few and I think my favorite thus far is the Michelin M12xc, I've had a Washougal II on the front for the past couple months and it just feels squirrely at times. At any rate, what's the general consensus on fronts these days?

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: That tire thing again ...

Post by trailguy »

For a front tire Dunlop MX3S ( MX32) or Michelin Starcross 5 Soft. The MX3S does shed side knobs rather quickly though.

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

Kenda washougal 2 front
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

boland wrote:Kenda washougal 2 front
Love it!
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

thebourbonpeasant
User
User

Post by thebourbonpeasant »

I know a couple guys that switched to the Equilibrium, and they swear by them. Granted, they were running trials tires before. They said the Equilibrium has the benefits of the trials tire, but with the added side knobs needed in the mud. They will prob be my next tire too, but then again I like running a trials tire too.

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

I'll throw in my 2 cents. For front tires, the M12 you mentioned is predictable and precise. I also like the MX3S - I think it provides even better traction than the M12, but I can easily use 4-5 per season because of side knob tearing vs. two M12s. The M3S just does not like to be run long on any hardpack. So it depends what your budget allows.

For rear tires, the S12 is great in slippery and wet conditions, but also wears fast. M5B isn't bad either. Not my favorite unless it's really greasy though. I like the MX52 quite a bit and it seems the most durable.

I don't like the AT81 for the front or back. It feels like a stiffer tire to me. Not as much traction on hardpack and too much deflection on roots and rocks.
-Jared
#44b

Giles
Writer
Writer

Post by Giles »

Awesome guys, keep the comments coming! its funny that some like the Washougal II front so much when I wasn't crazy about it......just goes to show how much tires can be a personal preference. I wish I could afford to play around with more combinations.

Anyone else using the Starcross Soft Front? Also looking for more feedback on anyone that has experience with the Kenda Equilibrium rear.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

I am running Michelin Starcross 5 intermediates front on one, and the rear on both, woods bikes now, quite like them for local, and they are a bit cheaper and seem durable, and non directional (swap rear around get a bit more out of it).

Have also had good luck with the Kenda Millville 2 fronts (durable). Rears I've run a MotoZ Mtn hybrid (great in the dry rocks, will lift and chuck 5" diameter rocks, yet tolerable in the wet), Dunlop AT81 (all arounder), and a M5B (friggin diggin). Buddies are liking the AT81 and the new Bridgestone Battlecross.

For the rut riding a lot of the terrain has become, I prefer a narrower profile rear tire, seems to ride up less, track better and turn quicker, IMO.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

A buddy swears by the Equilibrium, but he runs a 19" and can get them easy. They do wear fast.

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

Giles what pressure were you running in the washougal? I love that tire but find it is very sensitive to different pressure. Also the size matters (that's what she said). I prefer the smaller one, 80/100 I think. The 90/100 is much fatter, strangely enough has a different tread pattern and doesn't feel quite the same as the 80/100/21.
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

Giles
Writer
Writer

Post by Giles »

Hi Boland, I also run the 80/100 and typically run 9-10 PSI

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Milleville 2 fronts are good. The best is a Bridgestone 403 though, RIP

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

I have made it known to many that i don't like the IRC M5B. I find it slides around too much and too easily on the brakes. I would normally ride it with 8-9 psi and an UHD tube. Then i tried a friends 4t bike with that tire on a Michelin bib mouse and was happy with it riding the same trails that i ran it on my own bike.

What I am getting at is the same tire can perform differently based on how you put it to work. Best to see what works for you.

TIP. If you ever find the perfect tire, don't tell anyone!

:cheers:
The voices are back. Awesome!

gorillam
User
User

Post by gorillam »

I run Goldentyre, well because I sell them. And pretty much every single top Enduro rider runs them, not saying they are fast because of the tires, but if you can win world events on them. They have to be good :>

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

I've tried lots, I stopped experimenting and have settled on M12 front S12 rear with tubliss approx. 10 psi front 8 psi rear on most days. Usually 1 front and 2 or 3 rears per season. The hunt for the "perfect tire" is a never ending journey :smirk:

P.S huge fan of the Tubliss, I run Stans mnt bike sealant and have never had any leakdown or sealing issues. Have never pinch flatted a Michy tire even when running near zero air on muddy days. Tire changes also way way easier compared to changing with an HD tube IMHO.
Last edited by erniebearskin on Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikeless....