2016 KTM 350 XCF setup

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: 2016 KTM 350 XCF setup

Post by axel99 »

I just sprung for my weight and went with a 2.5wt oil in the fork at the stock oil height. Made a huge difference with a few clicks, bike is very rideable if you are on a budget. I will try to lower the oil level 10mm next. Call Obie, the guard for my P3 skid plate was not listed on the website but they had a design and it fit perfect. Build or buy a brake snake, the lever really sticks out on these bikes. No need for a reckluse if you replace half of the clutch springs with 150xc springs and set the idle to 2000rpm, no slipage or flame outs. I also went 2teeth on the rear sprocket, some say 1 tooth is the magic. I just like the wear character of a 14t front. That said I recall being told 13t is what was suppose to come on the bike, so I guess I now have close to stock gearing :D.

The ktm hard parts 90 deg fuel outlet elbow is also some bike proctecton worth looking into.
#Z3B

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

You wont need the fan anymore, save weight and battery. I have the emperor rad guards, I wasn't going to run rad guards but I got a good deal and they are SOLID.
#Z3B

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Great! Skipping the fan install saves some time. Thanks for the tip with the clutch springs - my 2012 350 had a heavy clutch and this bike doesn't feel much lighter. I have a MME clever lever - I presume this will bolt onto the new machine too. I'll switch back to a 14t sprocket with a bigger rear sprocket when the stock chain and sprocket wears out. If I install a bigger rear from the get-go, I imagine the rear wheel will have to be run further forward.

I have a spare brake snake on hand already. Any thoughts where I should bolt it?

Zipty says the bottoming out kit will be retailed at $130 - but isn't actually available yet. They're waiting for some parts to be anodized.
-Jared
#44b

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

I popped my handlebars off thinking I would prefer them further forward... only to realize that's not an option with these new triple clamps. Rubber-mount is cool though. Guess I might just need to swap for some taller bars.

Looks like my over-sized front and solid rear rotors bolt up without drama. I'm pleased at least some of my parts fit the new version.

-Jared
#44b

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

oh yeah. forgot to mention the 2016 bar clamps are tinfoil. The rubber mounts tweak in the first crash.... Buy replacement aluminium cones to replace the rubber and either a 2017 top clamp or a set of fastway top clamp handguards. Or, find a 2015 top triple clamp and bar clamps and be on your way.

The bike is looking nice

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Really?! But they look so pretty. :crybaby:
-Jared
#44b

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

cerealkiller wrote:Really?! But they look so pretty. :crybaby:
garbage.... one tip over and mine twisted.

Good options in here.

http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?51746 ... ber+mounts

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

I have a KTM Hardparts SXS steering damper I was planning to install eventually. From the picture, it looks like the updated mount to fit the 2016 triple clamp also comes with solid bushings for the handlebars (presumably having rubber mounted bars doesn't play nice with the damper), so that might be another option.

Or like you said, I could get the older-style clamp and then use the mounts I already have. Either way, my wallet continues to bleed.
-Jared
#44b

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

cerealkiller wrote:I have a KTM Hardparts SXS steering damper I was planning to install eventually. From the picture, it looks like the updated mount to fit the 2016 triple clamp also comes with solid bushings for the handlebars (presumably having rubber mounted bars doesn't play nice with the damper), so that might be another option.

Or like you said, I could get the older-style clamp and then use the mounts I already have. Either way, my wallet continues to bleed.
That is the best solution yet.

vwrally
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vwrally »

I don't understand why KTM went with rubber mounts. My old Suzuki DR 650 had rubber isolated bar mounts, they got tweaked in every tip over, and were a big pain to straighten out after almost every ride.

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

I'm happy with the following on mine:

- KTM hardparts skid plate. Cant' see how this one would fall off. Made by Cycra.
- Bullet Proof Rad Guards
- Trail tech fan - Helps bike stay cool, and has been helpful in warming climates and the slow days. I feel better keeping the bike cooler, even if it won't boil over.
- Obie guard
- BRP submount with scotts.
- 13T on front.
- Rekluse EXP 3. It's great. Love them or hate them, they have a place. I rarely use it's slipping feature, but I'm sure it's saved me from stalling lots. I have yet to stall the bike once.

Fork springs are light for the shock. For my weight, I simply swapped the springs to a heavier set I already had. .5's are too stiff, and .48's are pretty good. 200 lbs and 6'4". I also carry a heavy backpack 99% of the time.

I haven't had much experience with tuned suspension, but have rode the SSS quite a few times. The ideal fork for me would be something in between. 4CS I find are a bit harsh after a long day on the small chop, but the SSS feel vague. Mid stroke I actually prefer the 4CS, but do feel the SSS suddenly ramp up mid stroke. I can't say I bottom the forks hard ever. Guess I'm not riding hard enough.

Shock is good. No real complaints there other than I think I like to run more rebound than many. I also go by feel of sag rather than numbers. I also like swimming up stream so I don't suggest people follow my settings. My bike shipped with WAY too little sag. Almost as if Alex set the bike up.... =)

The 350 has great power. I like it's playful power where it's not overpowering or a handful down low, but still rips up high. The thing seems to rev forever for those instances where you don't want to shift. Sometimes, when caught out of gear, I'd wish it had a bit more torque, but I know there are negatives to having that on tap.

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

axel99 wrote:I just sprung for my weight and went with a 2.5wt oil in the fork at the stock oil height. Made a huge difference with a few clicks, bike is very rideable if you are on a budget. I will try to lower the oil level 10mm next.
Alex, your comment made me ponder what could be done with different fluids. Since I'll be re-springing stiffer than stock, I expect the valving will end up with too little rebound damping and too much compression. In that case, 2.5 wt oil on the compression side would make sense, but wouldn't it compound my problem on the rebound?

Since these are separate function forks, can you run two different weights? What if I put 7w in the rebound side? ...or I could bust out a ratio rite and make a custom blend if that's taking the idea too far?

Have I fallen off my rocker? :lol:
-Jared
#44b

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Braap791 »

Lighter is better helps the 4cs work

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

My understanding is with the 4cs, both forks damp in both directions, but each is only adjustable for one function/direction.

gorillam
User
User

Post by gorillam »

I personally did not enjoy the stock height lightweight oil thing. I found I couldn't get the rebound slow enough, kind of pogo'd. I just kept stock weight lowered 5mm. 4cs.

Be careful with lowering oil too much or you will bottom out extremely hard when you make mistakes or hit big jumps.

I ended up going with a revalve, love the forks now with no scary tendencies.