Which GPS?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Which GPS?

Post by Spinalguy »

Brass wrote:
Spinalguy wrote: i will bring reading glasses to do it, but my garmin 60??? i can no longer read and it .....
Consider having laser eye surgery to correct your vision, my 72 y/o mother recently had it done because she was having trouble reading the speedometer of her car. 20 minutes of laser work and a short recovery/adjustment period and she can read a newspaper again without glasses. If you have it done and you can revive that Garmin 60!

Riding or any other physical activity is much better when you can see everything you need to see, GPS included.
:lol:
i have 20/15 vision, but i need reading glasses at 1.50 (which has remained constant for 5 years).
i did not know that laser eye surgery can correct for that. Hmmm....
Thanks.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

AJRJ wrote:Love the iPhone (I'm sure android would be as good).

No data, no plan required. I stuck an unused SIM card in a old phone, GPS runs fine. I use MotionX, but there's probably other better ones. Large easy to read screen, and an Iphone 5 can be had for a fraction of the cost of a Garmin...
350scott wrote:Even though I'm a big fan of the Oregon 600 (or 650 if you like), if I was looking for a new GPS I'd just find a cheap used iPhone 6 and get a protective case. You can download whatever maps you need on WiFi and the GPS doesn't require data. As for the SIM card issue, unless our friends at Apple have changed things you only need a SIM card to activate the phone the first time, then you can pull the SIM card and return it where it came from (i.e. your working phone).

Note, the iPhone 6 has a 4.7" screen vs the 4" on the iPhone 5.
i ordered the Motion X app for under 3 bucks.
However, it will not work in Airplane setting. a pop up tells me this and if i turn off cellular data, motion x again informs me that it will not work.
Did i order the wrong one? :thinking:
And can someone tell me/pic the exact settings you are using.
Thanks
Tom
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Spinalguy wrote: i ordered the Motion X app for under 3 bucks.
However, it will not work in Airplane setting. a pop up tells me this and if i turn off cellular data, motion x again informs me that it will not work.
Did i order the wrong one? :thinking:
And can someone tell me/pic the exact settings you are using.
Thanks
Tom
Hmm. I always say "open anyways" or whatever, and I know it works. You obviously lose functions like map downloads/searches and sharing, but the map is there, as well as tracking breadcrumbs/ following etc.
IMG_3140.PNG
To download maps for off line use, select the "Map downloads" from the settings menu
Image-1.jpg
Hopefully that helps!

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Thanks, i will do that.
What map settings do you use?

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

I usually just use the motionX terrain map. Most of what I do is just logging where I'm headed vs. actual navigation.

Just a note to be sure to "lock" your phone. The app will keep the screen on otherwise, and will kill the battery even with airplane mode on.