Which GPS?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Which GPS?

Post by dirtyboy »

Sounds like you are a little attached to that GPS. Good Times.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Shibby! wrote:I recently bought another GPS, the Oregon 600.

It was a comparison between the 64S and 600. I just recently lost my trusty Oregon 450 on the trails in Revelstoke. That GPS has been with me for A LOT of bumpy adventures. Totalling over 60,000KM of bumpy roads and all weather conditions through 7 countries, some of those mulitple times (US and Mexico). It owed me nothing, but I felt heart broken when I lost it. The only thing to go wrong was the stupid USB port that Garmin puts on all of their products for powering. Some of their larger units have powered cradles, but they are just too big for normal use. It would be nice if they came out with a power cord and port that was up to the abuse of weather and vibration.

The touch screen was never an issue, and great for when your hands were numb being soaked in Baja with 8-10inches of fresh snow at 1AM. The larger screen is great when attempting to navigate the Tour of Idaho trails while being stung by wasps, or to determine how many miles left to a small town when your chain breaks in the middle nowhere on the continental divide. Also works well finding a place to sleep on a river bed when you realise you won't find a small town with WIFI to call your nephew on his birthday in the Copper Canyon, Mx.

BTW, if anybody finds the GPS in Revelstoke I would love to have it back!
Why did you buy the 600 if you loved the 450 so much? and do you now love the 600 more?
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Bringing this back from the dead.
Its now 2018.
Everyone still love their recommendations?

i need to be able to see my gps and i will bring reading glasses to do it, but my garmin 60??? i can no longer read and it has gathered cobwebs. i guess i should fire sale it...

But, surely others are at the reading glass stage and that oregon sure looks like a big screen?

The iphone was mentioned, does it use your data plan to work?

Thanks for any updated info and feedback.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

NineOh
User
User

Post by NineOh »

My Montana 600 has worked well over the last 4yrs but am seriously looking at the new Trail Tech Voyeur Pro. The buddy tracking feature would be pretty handy to have if the range in the trees is decent.

Last edited by dirtyboy on Thu May 03, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Just use the YouTube ID number and not the whole URL string

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

Shibby doesn't post here much anymore, but I know he really likes his Oregon 600. I'm still running a 450.
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Love the iPhone (I'm sure android would be as good).

No data, no plan required. I stuck an unused SIM card in a old phone, GPS runs fine. I use MotionX, but there's probably other better ones. Large easy to read screen, and an Iphone 5 can be had for a fraction of the cost of a Garmin...

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Even though I'm a big fan of the Oregon 600 (or 650 if you like), if I was looking for a new GPS I'd just find a cheap used iPhone 6 and get a protective case. You can download whatever maps you need on WiFi and the GPS doesn't require data. As for the SIM card issue, unless our friends at Apple have changed things you only need a SIM card to activate the phone the first time, then you can pull the SIM card and return it where it came from (i.e. your working phone).

Note, the iPhone 6 has a 4.7" screen vs the 4" on the iPhone 5.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

I've been thinking about the phone route as well, does anyone know what the best GPS software is for android?
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

NineOh wrote:My Montana 600 has worked well over the last 4yrs but am seriously looking at the new Trail Tech Voyeur Pro. The buddy tracking feature would be pretty handy to have if the range in the trees is decent.

i will check that out. Thanks

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Rider Eh! wrote:Shibby doesn't post here much anymore, but I know he really likes his Oregon 600. I'm still running a 450.
Thanks.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

AJRJ wrote:Love the iPhone (I'm sure android would be as good).

No data, no plan required. I stuck an unused SIM card in a old phone, GPS runs fine. I use MotionX, but there's probably other better ones. Large easy to read screen, and an Iphone 5 can be had for a fraction of the cost of a Garmin...
i never thought of doing it that way, a dedicated phone. Thanks.
And no data, perfect.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

350scott wrote:Even though I'm a big fan of the Oregon 600 (or 650 if you like), if I was looking for a new GPS I'd just find a cheap used iPhone 6 and get a protective case. You can download whatever maps you need on WiFi and the GPS doesn't require data. As for the SIM card issue, unless our friends at Apple have changed things you only need a SIM card to activate the phone the first time, then you can pull the SIM card and return it where it came from (i.e. your working phone).

Note, the iPhone 6 has a 4.7" screen vs the 4" on the iPhone 5.
Brilliant! Thanks.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i forgot to ask, in looking for the iphone 6, does it matter how much storage it has?

And would the larger iphone 6 be better, i think 6+ or is it too bulky?
Thanks again everyone.

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

My opinion would be the bigger the screen the better. Also check on the water resistance of the phone you're planning on using.

I have used an older Samsung Galaxy Note as a GPS before because it has that water resistant spec. As an added bonus it accepts SD Cards for storage and you can carry an extra battery to swap. An extra benefit of carrying a phone as a GPS is that they can take pretty good video and photos.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Spinalguy wrote: i will bring reading glasses to do it, but my garmin 60??? i can no longer read and it .....
Consider having laser eye surgery to correct your vision, my 72 y/o mother recently had it done because she was having trouble reading the speedometer of her car. 20 minutes of laser work and a short recovery/adjustment period and she can read a newspaper again without glasses. If you have it done and you can revive that Garmin 60!

Riding or any other physical activity is much better when you can see everything you need to see, GPS included.
The voices are back. Awesome!