Filter Skins

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Filter Skins

Post by Brass »

The walmart version of oxyclean works just as well for clean up but costs even less.

I have also added a pair of nitrile gloves to my tool kit to wring out the air filter if the bike ever decides to go snorkeling. You really don't want that stuff on your hands or riding gloves! Don't bother asking how i know ..... :mad:

Back to the filter skinz. I use them with the No-Toil and will usually swap them out 3 to 4 times before trading out the air filter. This schedule usually means the air filter is very easy to clean and put back into the rotation. Never had any issues with dirt pulling through.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

When using the green No Toil (the water based stuff) I put the oil on the outside of the filter and then I make sure that the oil is saturated evenly on the inside of the filter. Then it has enough. I also leave the filter on a bench to dry if I can before placing in the bike. The green No Toil is just like latex paint so it will migrate before it dries.

For camping the aerosol (with alcohol) works good.

Thanks for letting us know that the filter skins are available for the new filter.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

I tried the Oxy clean in the past and it cleaned the filter just fine, although all my filters seemed to seperate at the glued joints after 3 washings. May have been just normal wear or the alcohol in the oil, I am not sure.
#Z3B

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I never had any problem with that on TwinAir filters, I do recall reading that Uni filters don't stand up to NoToil products.

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

axel99 wrote:I tried the Oxy clean in the past and it cleaned the filter just fine, although all my filters seemed to seperate at the glued joints after 3 washings. May have been just normal wear or the alcohol in the oil, I am not sure.

It doesn't clean as well, and separates filters. I've stopped using it for that very reason. Stick with the NoToil powder.