Filter Skins

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Filter Skins

Post by Bark »

A question for those folks who use filter skins out there.

I've been using filter skins for a few years now and I like them. They help reduce time cleaning and re-oiling the main filters. Historically, I've used the main filter for 2 rides, 1 ride with the filter skin and 1 ride without the filter skin. I think this is conservative and I've had no problems.

I'm pondering the idea to use the main filter for more days than 2 by exchanging the filter skin every ride. Something like 3 rides with 3 different filter skins and 1 ride with just the main filter. Is this madness?

I'm driven by the desire to reduce the time spent cleaning air filters but want a 'new' filter for every ride.

How many times are folks comfortable using a main filter with new filter skins?

TIA!
Bark

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Filter Skins

Post by 350scott »

My two cents. You're changing/cleaning your filter too often. Only in the dustiest conditions will your filter be dirty enough that it should be cleaned/new every ride (think a long dusty Kooc day). You could easily cut your filter changing/cleaning schedule in half and be fine.

Also, every time you take your filter off you risk getting stuff in your intake and/or not getting the filter seated correctly.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Your plan sounds reasonable to me. Take off dirty skin, put on clean skin. Repeat. Repeat. Once the main filter starts looking dirty, wash everything.

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

Just buy more filters, I tend to have about 4. Wash all at once and you are saving that much more time. Also I don't wash until there is dirt visually present. One trick is also to ride on front of all your buddies :)

vwrally
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vwrally »

On a multi day dusty ride with no return to base camp, multiple filter skins are great. From LA to Palmdale and back through the desert over 4 days, I used up 3 filter skins, and had just the filter itself on the last day. Each filter skin was fully caked with dust at the end of each day. You do need to be extremely careful replacing the skin each day so you don't get an air box full of grit. Carrying a few preoiled skins in your pack is way less bulky than spare filters. Having said that, it does sound like you may be too fastidious with your filter, unless you're eating dust and sand constantly on your rides.

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

I may have overstated my zeal when changing filters. If its not too dirty I will leave it in. But, generally, I'll maintain the filter after most rides. I try to be somewhat practical but I suspect I have a clean filter for more than 90% of my rides.

I do have 4 main filters at the moment and do as noted by Rider Eh!. I'm just looking to be more lazy. I find the filter skins to be super easy to use and am considering to use, say, 3 skins per filter. Doing that, I might do filters 2X a year, once at the beginning, once sometime in the middle. That would give me ~16 rides minimum without having to clean and oil filters and skins. For my average year, it might even be once per whole season.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I used to use filter skins on my filter. I would pull off the filter skin, oil up a clean one and put it on. I could go months without cleaning the actual filter. :lol:

Then something happened (I might have changed filter oil) and I found that cleaning the filter was less of an issue than cleaning the filter skins. So now I just clean the filter when it needs it and use filter skins only when I need to avoid maintenance like on a camping trip.

How would I fit the filter skin on the new 2016 filter with the 2 diagonal pointy bits on the filter?

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Ducttape should work Dirtyboy.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

dirtyboy wrote:I used to use filter skins on my filter. I would pull off the filter skin, oil up a clean one and put it on. I could go months without cleaning the actual filter. :lol:
It sounds like I can't go wrong with my plan. :thumbsup:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I used to use Filter Skins and still have a bag of them somewhere...

Since I have switched to no-toil I have no issue with running as many as 6 filters in my fleet and spending one session washing them every few months. They clean up so quick and easy its ridiculous. And I can do them in the kitchen sink when the wife is not looking. I then oil up a fresh one the day before a ride and let it evaporate and tack up while installed in the bike. I try not to let oiled filters sit for longer than a month while waiting to get into the bike.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I used to use NoToil until I found dust in my airboot after a dusty ride. Be careful. It is tempting as it cleans up so easily. Also, OxyClean powder works great for cleanup and is way cheaper and more widely available than the NoToil powder.

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

I use no toil, but in my opinion you need to use more of it than you would with other filter oils. I think the reason is that it reduces as the alcohol dries. Once applied, I let it sit for a day to dry. Then squish it again with my gloves to ensure the oil is well distributed.

It doesn't have a good shelf life either. It's best to oil it up a day or two before your ride because as it sits, it gets less tacky. I just keep an oiled one in a plastic bag for a quick swap before my rides.

That's a good tip with the oxyclean! I didn't know about it and I love to pinch my pennies. :applause:
-Jared
#44b

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cycleworks »

dirtyboy wrote:I used to use filter skins on my filter. I would pull off the filter skin, oil up a clean one and put it on. I could go months without cleaning the actual filter. :lol:

Then something happened (I might have changed filter oil) and I found that cleaning the filter was less of an issue than cleaning the filter skins. So now I just clean the filter when it needs it and use filter skins only when I need to avoid maintenance like on a camping trip.

How would I fit the filter skin on the new 2016 filter with the 2 diagonal pointy bits on the filter?

KTM makes a special filter skin just for that new filter!
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cycleworks »

cerealkiller wrote:I use no toil, but in my opinion you need to use more of it than you would with other filter oils. I think the reason is that it reduces as the alcohol dries. Once applied, I let it sit for a day to dry. Then squish it again with my gloves to ensure the oil is well distributed.

It doesn't have a good shelf life either. It's best to oil it up a day or two before your ride because as it sits, it gets less tacky. I just keep an oiled one in a plastic bag for a quick swap before my rides.

That's a good tip with the oxyclean! I didn't know about it and I love to pinch my pennies. :applause:
Also, No Toil now makes an alcohol free version that may help your cause!!! Its in a green bottle!
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

cedric wrote:I used to use NoToil until I found dust in my airboot after a dusty ride. Be careful. It is tempting as it cleans up so easily. Also, OxyClean powder works great for cleanup and is way cheaper and more widely available than the NoToil powder.
I use the green stuff and have ride in some of the nastiest conditions and have never had an issue with it. I think it does take a bit more lube to get the airfilter good and covered. And if you've ever tried to wash it off your bare hands with soap and water it will quickly prove to you that it will not wash off if you drown your bike....

Good call on the oxyclean. I actually use it on my dirtbike gear too!