Convert off-road to street in Alberta?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
xracer
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Convert off-road to street in Alberta?

Post by xracer »

I am shopping for a dual sport to replace a DRZ 400s, which has served me well. I have dedicated off-road bikes for hard core riding including a 2008 xcrw 450 which would make a fine dual sport if it could legally be done. Any comments, other than sell the xcrw and buy the EXC version?

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Convert off-road to street in Alberta?

Post by Braap791 »

Could u gear it for street and buy some sort of signal light kit? Sicass racing makes some sort of setup.

wheels13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by wheels13 »

I made my 250XCFW street legal with a kit I bought and a set of supermoto rims but if you find DOT tires to fit that should do the trick as well. You need to go to the registry and get a out of province and then get it inspected. Lights have to be DOT and mirrors have to be the correct size. Reflectors, horn, high low...everything. There is a lot of little stuff to do. But the kit on eBay will give you a good start.

Ynot303
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Ynot303 »

xracer wrote:I am shopping for a dual sport to replace a DRZ 400s, which has served me well. I have dedicated off-road bikes for hard core riding including a 2008 xcrw 450 which would make a fine dual sport if it could legally be done. Any comments, other than sell the xcrw and buy the EXC version?
I can't imagine it would be that hard... I bought a 2008 450 xcrw brand new in 2008 and when I went to do the initial registration the lady set it up as street legal. I've heard a similar story from a few different people. Try as mentioned above and I bet it wouldn't be too hard. :thumbsup:
2024 RMDRA Treasurer - #303

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takethebounce »

I have talked to a few people who recently tried to re-register "off road" bikes as "on road" bikes and ran into quite a number of hurdles.

A few registries have said it is impossible with the current system and once it has an off road designation it will remain off road. I have also read elsewhere and on here that people have successfully done it with the out of province inspections and such.

When I purchased my current KTM in 2012 new, the NVIS did not specify if it was an on or off road bike. KTM and other importers like GasGas and Beta sometimes do not have it listed. It is up to the person registering it at that time to say what it is. Silly me I could have had a street legal 200! But I said it was off road. You will also need a valid class 6 endorsement to register it as a road bike. There are some "legal" concerns that can come up when speaking with some people. If you have an insurance certificate for off road use and you are registering it as a road bike you could get yourself in hot water should you have an incident. Also, no one is verifying your offroad bike is equipped with the required on road components at the registry either. If you get stopped for no mirror or signals, its your own fault.

For a 2008 450 the easiest might be if it hasn't ever been registered you may be in luck. You can follow the suggested inspection process but you may need to find the right registry to provide you with the new registration.

My next one will be registered as a road bike if I have my way.

xracer
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by xracer »

Thank you for your replies. Based on the fact that my xcrw is already registered in Alberta as an off-highway-vehicle, I won't be doing the conversion. The numbers don't justify the risk of dealing with an unpredictable bureaucracy: Sicassracing conversion kit US$500, Pirelli MT21 tires $300, out of province inspection $150, and at least two days to put it all together!

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takethebounce »

Hooligan wrote:
You will also need a valid class 6 endorsement to register it as a road bike. There are some "legal" concerns that can come up when speaking with some people. If you have an insurance certificate for off road use and you are registering it as a road bike you could get yourself in hot water should you have an incident.
I've never heard of an off-road insurance certificate. I just assumed that insurance is insurance? My insurance company never made any mention of a difference. We have one dirtbike registered for street and one for off-road only but AFAIK the insurance is the same for both.

My dirt bike insurance is in the neighborhood of $150/yr Road bike insurance is closer to $450/yr based on my memory and the laws of my memory averaging numbers :)

So it isn't equal and the road bike is worth less than the dirt bike haha