Tires, Tubes and Tubliss

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Tires, Tubes and Tubliss

Post by RJHenry »

takethebounce wrote:I ride a 200 and personally did not like the M5B at any pressure. I find it would wash out on snotty sidehills a little more than I liked. Was it just me or is that a tire characteristic?
Agreed, not your imagination. Particularly mounted "backwards" the M5B side hills poorly. Also struggles on grass track. I switched rear wheels to MX51 off my wife's bike after a harsh set of splits at Shane Watts last year and the grass track experience was night and day improved. Definitely a characteristic.

That said, I still prefer the M5B over other choices. Big lugs suit my tractor style (I am a lugger, not a fighter) and it just works.

Up front I am back to AT81 but knob life is a bit of a trade off - seems to be a Dunlop thing.

I run an S12 front for Vega (sand) but could not stand it the one ride at McLean - too imprecise.

I tried a Motoz tractionator front for a few rides - wasn't for me. Two for sale if it works for you!

I run tubliss with slime on race wheels, HD tubes on play wheels. Occasional slow leaks due to bead damage. Had my first carcass flat at easter, plugged it with a quill patch from PA haven't run it yet. Overall the weight savings are enjoyable but not life changing, the 5 psi in the slop and the run flat ability is really nice.

RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350