How to fix a bent pipe

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Fenel854
Writer
Writer

How to fix a bent pipe

Post by Fenel854 »

Hi,

My Gnarly pipe is a bit bent right at the first turn out of the engine. It is letting a bit of exhaust escape at the engine connection and it is pushed back close to my starter. What's the easiest way to fix this? Found a few guides online but I was hoping to get some more accurate first hand info. :thumbsup:
Ron

2014 KTM 300XCW
2016 Timbersled ST

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: How to fix a bent pipe

Post by Dobi »

I use one of 2 methods.
On the bike - While wearing good riding boots and holding the handlebars start booting the pipe with your heal behind the starter motor to move pipe forward (a 2x4 can work as a lever to pry if you are wearing flip flops)

Off the bike - place pipe in a vice or stand on it while wearing flip flops and insert a hammer handle or small pipe wrench into the opening. Pull hard in direction of desired bend...

Plan B - Cycleworks stocks pipes :thumbsup: (I go through 2 to 3 pipes a year :blush:)

Fenel854
Writer
Writer

Post by Fenel854 »

Dobi wrote:I go through 2 to 3 pipes a year :blush:
That sounds expensive. Thanks for the tips. I've tried the "using my boot while it's on the bike method" with my stock pipe, but this Gnarly doesn't want to budge.
Ron

2014 KTM 300XCW
2016 Timbersled ST

golarge
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by golarge »

Put the end into the hitch receiver on your truck, grab other end, plant flip flops firmly on the ground, pull in the desired direction.

PS, remove the o rings first. (On the pipe, not the flip flops)
Yup. Got a new one.

downunder366
Contributor
Contributor

Post by downunder366 »

If its not bending or bending in the wrong spot I would also suggest putting some heat in the area (where you want it to bend).
Oxy/acetylene torch would work if you know anyone with a fab shop.

I know a guy that will do it but you would also need to take the bike to him. You would have to heat it off the bike make the bend and then refit it to see if you get the desired bend.

Clearly the cheaper alternative would be bending it yourself..
Ryan

2018 KTM 350 XCF

Supported By - Cycle Works Foothills - FXR - Mongoose Machine - Dunlop

brycektm
User
User

Post by brycektm »

Be careful trying to bend it back while its on your bike. I snapped my exhaust flange trying to straighten mine and that is a $280 piece that no one has in stock. My friend uses an hydraulic hand pump and the duck bill spreader attachment and it straighten mine out. Mine was bent at the same spot as yours.

Jonny5
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Jonny5 »

If the bend is not too bad, leave it. Put some high temp silicone in the flange to seal the exhaust leak.
Jon G.
2018 KTM 350XCF