Suspension Re-valve practices....

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
5Lgreenback
Contributor
Contributor

Suspension Re-valve practices....

Post by 5Lgreenback »

I had my suspension re-valved and springs changed about 60 hours ago or so on my bike by a reputable shop near calgary. I just went to change the oil in my forks and noticed that the spring rates on one side was stamped 44, and on the other it was stamped 47. The claimed spring rate is supposed to be .46kg on the forks.

Is it normal practice in suspension shops to use two different springs and split the difference for the combined spring rate? Would this not mean that the compression and rebound settings on each fork will have to be adjusted separately?

I expected to see 2 .46kg springs.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Suspension Re-valve practices....

Post by cedric »

I'm not sure if this is common practice or not, but I wouldn't be too concerned about it. When you consider that some bikes have one fork controlling compression and the other rebound, and I believe some of these new air fork setups have one leg controlling springing and the other damping, I wouldn't think slightly mismatched springs are going to be a big deal.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

This is not uncommon, I'm running a 43 & 40 to get a 41.5 spring rate.

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Braap791 »

trailguy wrote:This is not uncommon, I'm running a 43 & 40 to get a 41.5 spring rate.
Me too!

Ahamay
User
User

Post by Ahamay »

You can do it, but I would be t'd off if they charged you for a set of Spring but only added one spring to get you the desired rate.

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Not uncommon, but I've only heard of it when trying to obtain a half-step in spring rates.
-Jared
#44b

5Lgreenback
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 5Lgreenback »

Alright not too uncommon. But would this mean the clickers for each side will likely end up at different settings to get them working ideally?

I'll check my receipts to see how I was charged for the springs.

Ahamay
User
User

Post by Ahamay »

5Lgreenback wrote:Alright not too uncommon. But would this mean the clickers for each side will likely end up at different settings to get them working ideally?

Won't affect your clicker settings

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

The clickers control the damping, not the spring rate. I guess in some way there would be an effect, but you are really splitting hairs here. My 4CS forks have a compression clicker on one leg and a rebound clicker on the other leg (although both fork legs perform both functions to my knowledge - is that true?) only one leg is adjustable for each function.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

5Lgreenback wrote:Alright not too uncommon. But would this mean the clickers for each side will likely end up at different settings to get them working ideally?

No, clickers would be the same if you had two .46 springs.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

cedric wrote:The clickers control the damping, not the spring rate. I guess in some way there would be an effect, but you are really splitting hairs here. My 4CS forks have a compression clicker on one leg and a rebound clicker on the other leg (although both fork legs perform both functions to my knowledge - is that true?) only one leg is adjustable for each function.
Yes, true.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

if i paid for 46 springs and found a 44 and 47, i would be pissed.
when i ordered 46 springs from race tech, i got 46 springs...amazing. ha.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com