Off road helmets??

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
madhatter
Contributor
Contributor

Off road helmets??

Post by madhatter »

I'm in the market for a new off road helmet.
Light weight is one of the key things I want....
Price.....under $500
Wondering what is everyones favorite helmet.
And what is the lightest helmet available locally that a person can try on.
Yeah I'll hit Blackfoot next time I'm in Cowtown but would like some opinions....
Thanks

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Off road helmets??

Post by 350scott »

Light and maybe available under $500 locally. Suomy Mr. Jump. Nice helmets that are amongst the lightest on the market, just don't ever break the visor. Replacement visors are stupidly expensive.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

go into a dealer and try helmets on until you find one that fits, then look at the price. Good fit is more important than price. Weight is an important factor, so is some of the new concussion technology. I love my V4 fox, and have run the foxes for years now.

madhatter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by madhatter »

Yes Ill be going in.....selection here is limited so it will have to be when I get to Calgary.
Opinions are nice tho...

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

My last couple helmets are the Fly F2 Carbon and Formula. I find them comfortable and I will buy another when my current one suffers too much tree abuse. Neither helmet is a super-lightweight, but they're pretty reasonable (I think around 3lbs plus an Oz or two).

They're very similar. Both have a carbon fiber/kevlar shell. The formula adds nicer interior padding, some titanium bits, carbon fiber accents and stainless hardware. I don't think there's a Formula version out for 2016 though, but you can probably get a deeply discounted 2015 from BTO sports for well-under your $500 budget.

If you're after MIPS, it is only available on the 2016 F2 Carbon.

madhatter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by madhatter »

Light weight is fairly important due to some lingering neck issues.....less weight the better.
If I pay more I pay more....
Leatt brace may be in future as well

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I have the old style Airoh Stelt helmet (light weight) and always use a Leatt neck brace (3rd cover on mine now). The combination works great but I'm about in need of a new helmet and wonder what to get. The Airoh Aviator is pretty elaborate looking. About 1000 grams would be good. What to get? :excuse:

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Go as light as you can afford, aside from 6D & MIPS, all the helmets have a similar safety rating, I currently have the Airoh and its nice but pretty spendy, my last helmet was a Suomy Mr Jump and it was actually really nice, nearly as light for significantly less money.

If you find a deal online, bring it in to a local shop and see if they can match, at least you give them a shot at your business! :thumbsup:

Buying local is good karma, kind of like buying a membership and supporting your local club (nudge, nudge Jared :smirk: )
Bikeless....

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

I believe the new Leatt helmet has newer '6D/MIPS' type technology and it's a pretty good bet it will integrate well with the Leatt neck brace...

http://www.leatt.com/shop/helmets/offro ... y-wht.html
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

bfdirect
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bfdirect »

I agree with most posts on this thread. The most important being try one on before buying as everyone's head is different. What might work for one guy may be a vice on another!

There are many lightweight helmets on the market right now. We used to carry the Suomy Mr. Jump but stopped strictly due to the EPS or lack thereof (remove helmet liner and you will see how it is carved out and basically a mountain bike lid). This is not the area I would personally sacrifice for weight.

Airoh makes a great light helmet and of high quality. WE also just recently received the new Leatt helmets and they seem to be high quality and light (does not fit my head).

If anyone has any questions about lids feel free to give me a call at the shop or stop by I would be more than happy to discuss further with you.

And as mentioned with the dollar the way it is and the fact that we are fortunate to have some good shops (just check the banners on main page) in town might as well spend local and save yourself the aggravation of getting the wrong size or improperly fit helmet.
Dean Thompson
BlackfootDirect.com
GM/Owner
403-214-2850
dean@blackfootdirect.com