Winter Riding Prep

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Dave P
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Winter Riding Prep

Post by Dave P »

So this year I would like to get out on a few winter rides.

Aside from studded tires, what does everyone do to their bikes to get them winter ridable?

Carb Heater?

I have heated gear, so not worried from that aspect

Appreciate the help,

Thanks,

Dave

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Winter Riding Prep

Post by AJRJ »

Yep, carb heater is a must on a 2s. I also ran a mesh pre filter on my air filter, and some handlebar muffs on the coldest days.

It doesn't take too much, and you don't have to clean air filters or wash your bike! :cheers: :D

Dave P
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dave P »

AJRJ wrote:Yep, carb heater is a must on a 2s. I also ran a mesh pre filter on my air filter, and some handlebar muffs on the coldest days.

It doesn't take too much, and you don't have to clean air filters or wash your bike! :cheers: :D
Thanks for the advice. Any recommendations on Carb Heaters? Its a Honda CR250 if that makes any difference.

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

There should be some good info if you do a search for winter prep.
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

the KTM carb heater is a very simple set up. You do have to drill and tap the Kehin carb and supply it with power. It should be able to make work on a CR, so long as its got some juice.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Dave P wrote:Thanks for the advice. Any recommendations on Carb Heaters? Its a Honda CR250 if that makes any difference.
Not sure if the Keihin kit works on your Mikuni TMX, but I kind of doubt it. There are options to use a grip heater element or similar, but your real hurdle will be no lighting coil or free power to run a heating element. I believe some guys have shrouded in the card with various materials like thin flexible plastic (read: crazy carpets), and that definitely can be made to work. Nothing beats a carb heater though.

I wouldn't let it stop you from winter riding, but I'd stay relatively close to the truck till you have your setup dialed. Getting sucked into a deep back country excursion with other well set up bikes will take some of the fun out. :D

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Wrapping the carb is not entirely effective though it can help. I don't know of a carb heater for Mikuni's but that isn't to say there isn't one.

Since the CR doesn't have any extra watts available, you could use an ATV or snowmobile thumb heater and power it off a 12v power tool battery mounted in the air box.
The voices are back. Awesome!

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

I don't have direct experience with carb heaters, but I do know of people redirecting coolant lines to a heat trace loop around their carbs to get heat when you don't have the required electric power. If you do this, you should still wrap the carb to keep the heat in.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

I probably wasn't clear when I talked about wrapping the carb. I would not insulate the carb itself, that will make it worse. The venturi effect will actually make it freeze sooner. It's more like protecting the area from snow spray, and trying to keep heat from the motor in.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

This months newsletter covers some things...

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11739
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com