Suggestions on Neck Braces.

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
outrgus
Writer
Writer

Suggestions on Neck Braces.

Post by outrgus »

I am looking for opions on what neck brace/helmet to purchase. I just had a MTB accident (3 weeks ago) and have 3 compressed virtabra in my back and 2 in my neck as i fell off a feature a COP and landed on my head( did have my motobike helmet on which probable saved my life). My wife has suggested i get a neck brace and new helmet when i return to riding next year.
What do you suggest? I see Blackfoot Direct sells the ATLAS ORIGINAL NECK BRACE, any reviews on this model.
What should i be looking for?
As i need a new helmet, do some braces work better with some brands of helmets better than others.
I do wear a chest Protector when i ride, do the braces work with any brand, or am i going to need to look for a new chest protector also.

Thanks
Dennis (The guy sitting a home with a neck collar on and bored stiff)

rockymtn
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Suggestions on Neck Braces.

Post by rockymtn »

Dennis, So sorry to hear about that. I hope there will be no lasting effects.
Several years ago I bought new all new protection for myself and my son.
The crew at Blackfoot Direct gave us a fantastic deal on Leatt ready TLD chest protectors (5955) and Leatt neck braces. I got the carbon fiber GPX pro lite and B got the GPX race.
I have always worn Suomy helmets (Cycle Works and GW have both given me great deals) with the Leatt and B is now wearing a KINI. Both are super light and work great with the braces although I think any new high end helmet will be designed to work
with any brace.
Depending on what chest protector you have now, it may work.

The first time I tried on a Leatt, all I could feel was the helmet banging the brace and I concluded that it would drive me crazy and be too restrictive. After hearing of two severe neck injuries locally, I pulled the trigger and bought the gear. I can honestly say that I have never even noticed the brace when riding and now feel naked with out it. Depending on the ride, I will even wear it on the 640. Unfortunately B had the opportunity to test his when a hidden leaner hooked his helmet and cleaned him off his bike. Seeing him get yanked off the bike by his head made me sick...., I thought he was injured for sure, but of all the things that hurt, his neck was not one of them. After a bit of a breather, we finished the ride. I doubt we would have been so lucky if he hadn't been wearing a brace.

If you are coming to Cochrane, give me a call and you and your son are welcome to try our gear on to see if our setup works for you.

Take care and Speedy recovery...Doug

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Lots of different braces almost everyone I know has either a Leatt or Atlas. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

outrgus
Writer
Writer

Post by outrgus »

Hey Doug,
Nice to hear from you again. I see the spine doctor in 3 weeks to see if my skull fracture has headed properly at my spine. I feel fine and have really no pain in my back or neck, which is a very good sign.
When i get the ok to drive again, I will take you up on your offer of trying yours on.
Give me a text when you get a chance to get your number again.
403-827-3one01

Thanks
Dennis

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I bought a Leatt GPX when they came out, was it around 2005? I have replaced the cover on it a few times but it is still going strong and doing it's job. The Leatt allows adjustments to fit different helmets and I've used 4 or 5 different helmets with it.

Once you get your setup, it's time to try on some chest protectors with the brace and helmet and see what works. I've had good luck with TLD unit.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I have tried them all and settled on the Atlas. I run a fox v4.

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Braap791 »

I run the alpinestars one with a TLD chest protector. So far so good with a TLD helmet and now with a Suomy. If it does pop out of place it will most definitely "clunk" the bottom of your helmet.

outrgus
Writer
Writer

Post by outrgus »

Thanks for the replys guys.
Always better to get some revieves from real world people that wear them.

Just need to heal up for a few more weeks then, I can start shopping around.

Dennis

Grimlock
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Grimlock »

I tried a few different makes of neck braces last year (Leatt, Atlas and EVS) and couldn't come to grips with how any of them felt. I was only able to try them on in store but I couldn't deal with the restriction of movement so I just went without in 2014.

Earlier this year I was shopping for a new chest protector and the shop I was at had the Leatt Fusion chest protector with the incorporated neck brace. It is a bit pricey, but I find it gives quite a bit more freedom of movement compared to the previous neck brace only units I tried before. I haven't crash tested it to see how it protects my neck, but it saved me from what I am sure would have been a throat puncture (branch caught right under the front duckbill of the neck brace) from a spear sticking out into a trail at Chuhwels Mountain earlier this year. It was a hard enough hit to knock me out of the saddle.

I don't see a lot of people using the Fusion units, but I can say I really like mine and highly recommend trying one if you find the neck brace alone doesn't fit your needs.

:cheers:
#826A

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Pile drived myself yesterday, believe the ATLAS saved me from (major) injury, also a similar feat 2 years ago with a LEATT also preventing severe trauma (did separate shoulder). IMO not an option to ride without em. If they can be made to fit me (short and massively big pecs (or ribcage and moobs :blush:) ) then no reason not to work on everyone. The helmet movement being a bit restricted is the point of the brace. YMMV

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

I have an atlas and a fox pressure suit. When i forst combined them it was quite the pain. I did end up taking the back protector off the pressure suit and the brace is infinitely better. No restriction and no banging on the helmet anymore. I also make sure the jersey collar is wrapped around the neck protector to contain it's movement.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------