Wheel straightening?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Wheel straightening?

Post by bikingagain »

So I just started to take my bike apart and buy a few parts. When I bought some spokes and asked about getting the wheel straightened I was told it could take a couple hours to do. With the hourly rate of a mechanic that is pretty pricy. Does that sound right or is there a better place to get it done? I will have the wheel and tire off and the spokes replaced so it shouldn't have any extra cost. Thanks for any insight or suggestions,I haven't had to deal with this issue so far..
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Wheel straightening?

Post by Dobi »

Borrow a tire truing stand from a stand up guy in the club :D , or do it with it on the bike. It really isn't that tough of a deal. I have re-laced an entire rim in short order with no hassle. I recently had to replace a few spokes on my mountain bike and take a wobble out of the rim and it was surprisingly easier than i thought it was going to be.

Or, as previously mentioned I do work for dilly bars and your kids go to school down the street from my house....

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

I've trued MTB rims with great success. You've got the aptitude to do it Mike. Just take your time, spin the wheel and stop where it needs to be fiddled with. It's a lot easier with brakes that touch the outside of the rim, but I'm sure you're clever enough to put some sort of shim near the rim for eyeball measurements. Take your time, you'll do fine.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

Thanks Joe, I was hoping it wasn't too complicated to try.
Thanks for your offer Mike, I think I will definitely take you up on the offer as soon as I check with your shop manager that I am allowed to cheat your diet :smirk: . Maybe some time in the next week I will try to drop by. I am now in the NW at my Inlaws though as I am homeless :crybaby: Sold the house and are waiting for the new one to be built. I will PM you when I get them off.
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

The most difficult part of it is trying to figure out which way is to tighten or loosen, upside down with crisscrossing spokes...
----------------->just some guy<-----------------