Stalling during downhills (float height?)

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Stalling during downhills (float height?)

Post by giantjoe »

So I've got my carb off to replace my torn intake boot and remembered that while doing downhills I stall unless I am feathering the throttle. This wasn't too much of an issue when I was running a bit lean (air boot leak) but I'm sure it'll become troublesome tonight. Kind of a pain with a Rekluse. Is the float height too high? Should I have the float sit deeper in the bowl?
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Stalling during downhills (float height?)

Post by AJRJ »

Usually the float should be completely parallel with the bowl in order to shut off the fuel. Some people will even use a new short hose to blow into the carb, so you can feel exactly when it shuts off. Float height can vary, and yes you can run it a touch low. IMO this setting seems to go out of spec with hours on the bike, and should be looked at every once in a while. Set your air screw while you're at it. That should be done at operating temperature/air temp/altitude for your ride. And you'll be purring away on the downhills.

Yeah Rekluse and a kickstart only bike that stalls on downhills sucks. :D

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

You could try that, your needle & seat could be wearing being an older bike. Could also try turning out the air screw = leaner.
Can you get away with turning your idle up just slightly as well ?

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

I did find that the rekluse z start pro needs the idle a bit higher then normal or it will stall at low rpms.
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

I adjusted it a bit downward and it made a big difference when starting. Much easier! It had a lot more power when cold as well, so it may be running a bit lean now?? I'll take it on a relaxed ride tonight to make sure everything is lovely. As long as we don't get our house mowed down by a tornado...
----------------->just some guy<-----------------