When to use a Tall Seat?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
twitch13
Contributor
Contributor

When to use a Tall Seat?

Post by twitch13 »

I'm 6'0" tall but I have a long inseam (almost 34") I am currently riding a slippery stock seat and want to upgrade it. Website says that if your over 5'10" you should be able to use a tall seat (I know I shouldn't be sitting down but I do get lazy sometimes!) . Is anyone running a tall seat and liked it or hated it? I find most people are in the 6'3" and above range that are putting them on and some are saying it makes them uncomfortable on tight turns when they sit.

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: When to use a Tall Seat?

Post by cerealkiller »

I'm only a little over 6' and I run a tall seat. I don't consider it a disadvantage at all, although it did take a few rides to get used to it. I ran it specifically to try and change the angle of my toes when sitting and to make the transition from sitting to standing slightly easier. I would not go back.
-Jared
#44b

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

I tried one on my 2011, I'm 5'7" with 31" inseam, I really liked it for the transition from sitting to standing (the only reason I got it) and never had any issues with corners. Where I struggled with it was on hill climbs where I screwed up. Getting back on the bike was challenging at times. Also on down hills with my short inseam sometimes I would snag the crotch of my pants on the back of the seat when moving forward from being way back. With a longer inseam I doubt either case would be an issue.

It comes down to what you feel fits you best. I suggest you try it to see for yourself.
The voices are back. Awesome!

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I am somewhat over 5'8" with an inseam that makes 34s look like flood pants and I don't run a tall seat. The small advantage it offers in the transition from sitting to standing is not worth the disadvantage when you need to use your outriggers in the nasty stuff. Run tall bars and a good gripper seat. I did try a tall seat for a few rides and didn't enjoy it. I am a stand up style rider, but do sit down enough to know my seat has little to no padding....

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Dobi wrote:I am somewhat over 5'8" with an inseam that makes 34s look like flood pants ....
:lol: being less than 5'8", I think the tall seat helped me to stand more so than it would for someone in the 6'6" range. I don't use the tall seat anymore since getting better at standing. Though I do have a soft seat :blush:
The voices are back. Awesome!