Rekluse Auto Clutch

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Runger
User
User

Re: Rekluse Auto Clutch

Post by Runger »

I have the exp in my bike and I think it's great. There is a lot of adjustability by changing the springs internally to determine where the clutch will start to engage. You can also play with the rpm and hydraulic cylinder adjustment if you ride a bike with hydraulic clutch. Not sure if a regular clutch would have the same tuning potential. I got mine out of the states but the dollar was at par then.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

If you're not trying to go pro I'd highly recommend it. I've had one for years and it makes life so much easier. Don't worry about having enough juice to pop over logs that's where the clutch shines. I can do those cool pivot turns with my old junker due to the Rekluse.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

They are really great and a surprisingly large number of people on this forum have them. Even though I'm a die hard Rekluse fan, I would recommend most people not get one for the first couple of years riding. They work so well that with one, you will likely never develop clutch skills that are really beneficial to becoming a better rider. The one thing that a Rekluse can't do for you is spool up the engine before engaging the clutch and this is an important skill to master, particularly on the smaller bikes. Now if you're like me and ride a fuel injected 500 it's a really fun way to roost your "friends" in the parking lot.

And to answer the question of which one to get, if you can afford it always get the Core EXP if you can afford it. If not and they make one for your bike, the basic EXP works just as good as the Core, it's just doesn't have the strength/durability of the Core EXP and doesn't come with the Rekluse clutch cover (IMO-is the toughest cover I've seen).
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I use the Rekluse EXP Core v3. I also use the clutch lever just like it was a manual clutch. It just makes me feel like I am amazing with my clutch lever. :D

Tips:
Adjust the free play gain to make sure the clutch is not slipping. (like the instructions say)
Watch out that you don't stay in too high of a gear (that will generate heat and wear your clutch)
Shift down whenever the engine is not in the meat of the power.

We have a Rekluse dealer that supports the club. If you are cheap, do yourself a favour and check pricing with Racing Unlimited. The advertising is on the top of the forum as below:

Jonny5
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Jonny5 »

I have also become a fan of the auto clutch. I do enjoy the "clutching" effect in tight/tough situations. Sometimes I feel it does not actively clutch my motor properly in specific situations - sometime I would like to run the RPM's a little higher or lower than what the clutch is set for - before engagement. However the ability to simply turn the throttle increases the fun factor and removes one task allowing you to focus on other issues in tough circumstances.

I do LOVE the anti stall effect of the clutch. Locking up the rear tire going into corners and rear-wheel steering on long steep down hills are two prime examples.

Core EXP 3.0 is what I have. I would say the 'after installation clutch feel' is very important. They lower end models tend to be heavy/stiff. The Z Start pro - IMHO feels great!
Jon G.
2018 KTM 350XCF

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Just say no.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

I dont think you will regret it, Scott's comment is very true thou, I have had Rekluse on my last 4 bikes and I am absolutely useless with a real clutch now. But that's ok because Ill never go back.....

Auto clutch makes dirt biking more fun IMHO, that simple!
Last edited by erniebearskin on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bikeless....

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

I've had an auto clutch in each of my bikes for the past 4-5 years, in 3 200 xcw's and now a 250 xc. They do make mistakes less noticeable and survivable. For example; have you ever come into a corner with too much rear brake without the clutch pulled in enough and stalled? The auto clutch will catch those mistakes and keep you from stalling and dropping like a stone.

My clutch lever is still used all the time to feather the clutch up hills and spool the motor in corners and for obstacles just like a normal setup. The biggest difference for me is the anti-stalling. When I get tired, I make mistakes, the Rekluse allows me to get away with those mistakes. If I didn't have it, I would stall the bike more and that would very likely be in a technical section where I would get even more tired trying to extract myself and bike. So really it's an energy saver. However, like others have said, your clutch skills will not improve because you don't learn from your mistakes. You'll end up being an "ok" street bike clutch user.

For what it's worth, I have had the z-start pro, the core 2.0 (hated it) and the core exp 3.0. The z-start was my favorite for the ease of setup, adjustment and butter soft lever. The core 2.0 was horrible in that the lever effort doubled. The EXP 3.0 lever effort is the same as stock but I have concerns about durability and wear. My preferred Rekluse setup is hard engagement at low rpm, I found that is most like a normal clutch, just with the anti-stalling feature.

My .02 cents. Your mileage may vary.

:cheers:
The voices are back. Awesome!

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

I really didn't want to start another thread, so I thought I'd ask this here as it pertains to the Rekluse. Those that have one ( I have recently had one installed), do you notice a different sound to your clutch? I've read where they can "chatter", but the noise I hear is more like a "howl" how's that for a technical term. Anyone?

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

A howl usually indicates some slippage. Check the installed gap if it is a z-start or the lever free play gain if it is a core.

Worn fiber plates could cause it as well. I seem to recall ktm plates being new at 3.3mm thick and needing replacement at 3.0 mm but don't trust those numbers.
The voices are back. Awesome!

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

Brass wrote:A howl usually indicates some slippage. Check the installed gap if it is a z-start or the lever free play gain if it is a core.

Worn fiber plates could cause it as well. I seem to recall ktm plates being new at 3.3mm thick and needing replacement at 3.0 mm but don't trust those numbers.
Thanks. I'll check that. I know the plates were in spec when I put it in. Have had about 5 rides since install. :thumbsup:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I can say that mine doesn't make the noise. I don't think it should. I can't say that I've heard a howling clutch.

On a Core EXP 3 the free play gain should adjust for any small deviations in the thickness of the plates I would think. I always adjust mine about 1/2 mark tighter than Rekluse suggests.

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

I had the howling clutch on a Husaberg 390 and was told numerous times by Rekluse that it was sort of normal, was not detrimental to performance and was just "the way it was" for that model. Despite the annoyance the clutch worked great.

Never had another one squeal since.....
Bikeless....

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

My z-start pro squeals occasionally. Mostly when it's due for an oil change. They sold an anti-squeal kit for it. I'm not sure if they do now. Mostly all it was was three o-rings installed under the pressure plate.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Good point. What oil is in that clutch areacode996?