Headlight Questions

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Metastable
User
User

Headlight Questions

Post by Metastable »

1 - So to be legal is it OK to just have the battery powered front and rear lights?
2 - If yes - do I have to have them turned ON, or is it OK to just have them on the bike?

OK now it gets a bit more confusing.

3 - If I were to install proper wired in lights what would I need? I have a 2010 KTM 200 XCW with no lights, no electric start, no battery. I have read on the internet that apparently the 200 xcw already comes with a voltage regulator. Is this true? Is there already a wiring harness on that bike that would just allow plug and play? I see there are a few quick connect terminals (they look like they would attach to a lighting assembly). They are just sitting there doing nothing just below the speedo/hour counter. Not sure if the original owner (not previous owner) already had lights, but took them off before selling the bike?

4 - My speedo/hour counter stopped working for the owner I bought the bike from a couple of rides before I bought it. I do believe this to be true, since the person I bought it from is a co-worker..... and it was his wife's bike. Any idea what trouble shooting I can do with that?

5 - Edit - I decided to add pictures. So the top picture shows a red and white quick connect that are unattached to anything, but one that is attached to some of the wires coming out of the speedo/hour counter. The bottom picture shows a bigger white quick connect that is attached to nothing as well. Any ideas what they are for?

Answers to any of the questions would be great. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Wires 1.JPG
Wires 2.JPG

AM407
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Headlight Questions

Post by AM407 »

1) Yes. I also believe that even bicycle lights or a flashlight is acceptable, although in seven years of riding here I've never been checked, so can't say for sure.
2) No, they don't need to be turned on all the time.
3) Yes, there are plug and play light kits for that bike. Both head and tail lights if you want.
4) Probably just the battery in the unit. It takes a CR2032, IIRC.
5) Don't know about the red and white connectors in the top pic, but the square connector in the bottom pic is for the headlight.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

I believe the other connector small jst style connector is for the handle bar mounted controller to switch between functions on the odometer.
#Z3B

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

4) check that the magnet is still in the front brake rotor. They fall out sometimes and the bike will not record hours/kms
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

Runger
User
User

Post by Runger »

I went to McLean 2 days in a row last week. Got checked both days. Mr Ranger told us they have a larger budget this year and will be up there lots. I had my insurance and licence plate with me but no lights on the first day and they let me ride. I think he forgot about the lights. The next day we had 2 different guys check us out after our ride. They said lights are required but they don't have to be sufficient for navigating at night just something that is visible to them from 60 metres. I asked about the bicycle lights and was told they're fine.

Metastable
User
User

Post by Metastable »

Thanks guys.

I did get the speedo/hour counter sorted out with a new battery from Staples. I had no idea there was a battery in there. FYI it was a CR2430.

Do the quick connect terminals come stock on the 2010 200 XCW or were they added in after the fact?

AM407
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AM407 »

Metastable wrote:Thanks guys.

I did get the speedo/hour counter sorted out with a new battery from Staples. I had no idea there was a battery in there. FYI it was a CR2430.

Do the quick connect terminals come stock on the 2010 200 XCW or were they added in after the fact?
Oops, sorry for the bum reference on the battery number.

My wife's 2009 200 XC-W came stock with the quick connect for the lights, and my 2011 250 XC-W came stock with the quick connect for the lights, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your 2010 also came stock with the quick connect. :D

Metastable
User
User

Post by Metastable »

Awesome - thanks guys. FYI, I just mentioned the correct battery just in case someone else is interested.

Cheers!