Fork and shock Revalve for woods

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
twitch13
Contributor
Contributor

Fork and shock Revalve for woods

Post by twitch13 »

Just checking if anyone has any feedback on the getting their forks and shock revalved for the woods. I have talked to a couple of people and they swear by it. I've got the 2015 Husqvarna 4cs forks and not sure it's worth the extra dough to get them upgraded on my new bike.

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Re: Fork and shock Revalve for woods

Post by erniebearskin »

I say no, once you revalve there is no going back! Ignorance is bliss, enjoy!
Bikeless....

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Jokes aside 4CS forks can be greatly improved with a revalve. I've never tried 2015 4CS, but did revalve both '13 and '14 4CS with good results. The last 4CS revalve from ProAction on my 2014 is crazy good.

Certainly not necessary to enjoy riding off road but can make a good thing even better.
Bikeless....

twitch13
Contributor
Contributor

Post by twitch13 »

Thanks for the feedback. Did you do your rear shock as well or just the front forks?

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

If you are going to do one, you pretty much gotta do both.
Bikeless....

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Braap791 »

Revalve front and back and never look back. 4cs in stock form can be a very scary experience (4th gear getoff into the woods with no warning) The new setup by Don with the new pro action piston and valving is pretty darn sweet.

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takethebounce »

I had Riders Edge (Lee @ CGRT) do my '13 full re valve and a progressive rear spring. Now some people may say it is pricey but the more I ride the bike afterwards the more I can appreciate it. There are likely more people riding stock suspension who ride just as good if not better than those who spend the coin on a revalve and those who can ride a lawn mower across water as well but for a guy who just enjoys riding I feel it has helped my riding and control. I would do it again on a new bike as well. have had the bike going on its forth year and will have it another four years I am sure so the cost spread out over that time is pretty minor.

The 4CS I would assume is going to be improved on a revavle but best to contact Riders Edge, or Lee at CGRT who does the AB work and maybe ProAction and see what they can at least offer you.

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

I have a 2013 300 xc (linkage). I've had the forks done by Riders Edge and are quite happy with them for the most part. I definitely need to be going at a certain pace, otherwise the forks feel a bit harsh in the initial stroke. I never bothered with the shock in terms of re-valve, found the linkage suspension pretty good by just getting the proper spring and sag. I also run my 09 triple clamps on my bike with a different offset ( this was recommended by riders edge). My .02 worth

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

I have an aftermarket "woods valve" takeout base and shim assembly from my 4CS conversion to Kreft guts and valving (drilled and plugged mid valve bleeds so no going back). The woods 4cs were cushy for sure...

I *think" i zip tied em in the same order they came out... :lol:
Free to good home.

JG2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JG2 »

If you have the older style WP closed cartridge forks (eg. non 4CS) you might want to consider the JBI Pro-Perch.

I've got crappy shoulders and my stock 2011 XC forks with the proper springs left my shoulders so sore it was difficult to reach the garage door opener in my truck after a day at McLean. Brutal.

My Riders Edge re-valued 2013 XC forks were noticibly improved but still harsh on roots, rocks etc...also really noticed it on braking bumps and flat landing off small jumps at the track. I'm slow but it still hurt.

Figured I'd give the JBI Pro-Perch a try and it really works! I guess it should work as it was another $350. It lets you run less oil and offers progressive oil flow through? the spring seat - the harshness has all but disappeared. It seemed to work great on the track too, at least until a 450 landed on my head and left me with fractured T9 and T11. :)

If you have old-style WP forks I highly recommend it.