Charlie Mullins' 350XCF

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Charlie Mullins' 350XCF

Post by cerealkiller »

I find that sometimes I can glean some tips from how the factory bikes are set up that I can replicate at home. I was looking at this video of Charlie Mullins's bike from 2014: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22gbd ... -xc-f_auto

I noticed this odd routing of his crankcase vent hose:

Any thoughts on why it would look like that? It looks like a larger piece of orange hose has been installed on top of it. From memory, I think my crankcase hose runs backwards from the valve cover, behind where the hydraulic clutch cable and the wires run and closer to the throttle body. I presume the orange piece of hose might be to avoid wear and chaffing since it would stick out more if it's on the outside of the hydraulic hose, but I can't figure out why you would want to route it that way.
-Jared
#44b

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Charlie Mullins' 350XCF

Post by cerealkiller »

Here's a comparison pick from as stock 350:

Did the XCF that year come with the low profile gas line connection on the tank? Maybe that's a mod on the 2014 that required the crankcase tube to be moved? :confused: Just guessing.
-Jared
#44b

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

The top pic has an XCF tank and the bottom has an SXF tank. Those look like stock fuel connections. Wondering about the vent hose also?

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

The XCF have never come with the 90 low profile gas line connector, thats a Hardparts part. My take on it is the line that has the orange cover wrap is the fuel line. Right after the orange cover ( at the bottom of it ) it does 90 bend right into the injector. The crank breather is in the same stock position and if you look close its running behind the fuel line. Something else is different with the throttle body, as it appears to have a cover over the TPS unit, these are very sensitive and if they get hit and move a fraction of a millimetre your race could be over. The cover would also protect the TPS wiring as well.
Edit: Looks like the orange cover is protecting the quick-connect on the fuel line.

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Interesting. That makes sense. Still seems odd to run it on the outside of the hydraulic clutch line since there should be plenty of room on the inside. Maybe it makes more sense when viewed from other angles.
-Jared
#44b

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

I believe the factory bikes use the bottommount injector throttle body - even the Japanese IIRC.

Is that an SX vs XC difference also?
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

RJHenry wrote:I believe the factory bikes use the bottommount injector throttle body - even the Japanese IIRC.

Is that an SX vs XC difference also?
The SX & XC use the same 44mm bottom injector throttle body. The XCW & EXC use a 42mm throttle body that I believe has a top injector.

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

trailguy wrote:The SX & XC use the same 44mm bottom injector throttle body. The XCW & EXC use a 42mm throttle body that I believe has a top injector.
Ah, I see! Makes sense, my Berg is top mount.
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350