Ktm right side crank bearing

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
premix
User
User

Ktm right side crank bearing

Post by premix »

Has anyone replaced one of them? I have about 140hrs on the bike (2011 xc250) and the outer race on the bearing chunked off, I think I caught it before it caused any other damage. My question is that I am unsure if this is a do it at home project for a sometimes "average" mechanic (myself) or if I should take it to someone? If so any recommendations where to take it?

Also does anyone know where I can find a engine repair manual for my bike? I have no problem paying for one but I cannot even find one for sale anywhere. :excuse:

wheels13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Ktm right side crank bearing

Post by wheels13 »

I have one I can send through email

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

You can order the service manual through cycle works its part #3.206.106

The outer race chunked off, any pics :crazy: You are going to need to split the cases...Do both bearings and get he crank rebuilt, It would suck to have to tear it all down again in 40hrs when the other bearing or rod fails. Not to mention all the down time. My opinion ....your money :cheers:

I have had a crank rebuilt by Paul Lavoie at LRX Performance, worked out well for me and no issues. I think I paid about $80 + parts that I supplied.

The transmission has alot of moving parts an some shims that need to be assembled in the correct order, have a look at the service manual and then make the call if its outside your mechanical ability. You will also need a bottom end gasket kit, The OEM KTM kit is ridiculous expensive, go after market.
#Z3B

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

premix wrote:Has anyone replaced one of them? I have about 140hrs on the bike (2011 xc250) and the outer race on the bearing chunked off, I think I caught it before it caused any other damage. My question is that I am unsure if this is a do it at home project for a sometimes "average" mechanic (myself) or if I should take it to someone? If so any recommendations where to take it?
I can be done by yourself at home (I've done it several times), but as Axel said, you need to split the cases, which is a quick way to say "you need to pull the engine and almost every engine part will be sitting on your bench". To do it yourself you will need some special tools such as : crank puller, gear puller (not every puller will work), case splitter, torque wrenches. My advice - Ask yourself if you are very comfortable re-shimming valves and replacing a piston? If you can't say yes, then either get someone who is to help or take it to someone who knows what they are doing. And as Axel also said, once you have the cases split, do yourself a favour and replace all the lower end bearings, seals and gaskets.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F