Front Preload Adjustment seems a bit off

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Metastable
User
User

Front Preload Adjustment seems a bit off

Post by Metastable »

Hey guys, I am a little baffled. Before doing the fork oil change (2010 KTM 200 XCW - open cartridge forks), I tried to adjust the preload, and the adjuster bold didn't seem to want to budge. I figured I'd do the oil change and try after. Anyway, did the fork oil change and went to check the front preload and it still doesn't want to turn either clockwise or anticlockwise (on both forks). So I am a bit confused and afraid to put too much muscle into it (on my previous bikes, preload adjustments didn't require much force. This was much easier on sportbikes. :D

How easy is it suppose to turn? suggestions on what to check or why it might not be turning? Thanks!

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Front Preload Adjustment seems a bit off

Post by boland »

I believe open chamber forks need spacers to adjust the preload. The inner part of the cap needs to be bottomed on the cartridge rod and has a lock nut holding it in place. So you should not be able to turn it at all externally.
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

When you set your oil height you would have had to separate the cap from the cartridge to remove the spring.
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

Metastable
User
User

Post by Metastable »

That would make sense, since I tightened the cap to the cartridge rod after sorting out the air gap (110mm, not that it would matter for preload).

However on the owners manual it doesn't mention anything with regards to the doing the preload with the cap off.

It just says: "Turn the adjusting screws (even though it isn't a screw) counterclockwise all the way. Turn back clockwise by the number of turns corresponding to the fork type." (I assume they mean - model type)

All 125/200 models: Comfort 0 Tturns, Standard 2 turns, Sport 4 turns.

There is a picture of a an open ended wrench on the cap. :excuse: