YZ250X???

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

YZ250X???

Post by erniebearskin »

http://dirtbikemagazine.com/news/yamaha ... two-stroke" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bikeless....

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: YZ250X???

Post by cerealkiller »

Neat. I don't want one, but still nice to see more options on the market. I don't understand why this isn't a WR250 though.

Also the article is a little skimpy on the details: different gearing, 18" rear wheel, kickstand... I presume softer suspension too. I wonder if that's all the difference between this and the regular yz250.
-Jared
#44b

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Off-road valving, bigger tank, 18" wheel kickstand at only 200 bucks more than the YZ250, which Blackfoot is selling for $7600, you can pimp one out pretty darn nice for wayyyyy less than an orange or white one. I think it's great, a little competition is a good thing :)

I'm not rushing out to sell my bike or anything, but it's one more option for riders!
Bikeless....

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Changes to the power valve, ignition etc.
The basic yz250 engine is quite a marvel, but it has a transition to the midrange that gets very tough to handle on our type of trails. It's fun for about 10 minutes and then you realize that for most of us the smoother transition into the hit of the KTM XC range makes you overall much faster.

Be very interesting how this turns out. The engine is now down on power and heavier than KTMs will the changes make it worse? The bike itself will "feel" lighter (no high poundage with battery) but will prob weight in the same as the XCs. No starter. Forks will be gold.
Interesting times, bet there are a couple of the smaller European brands with long faces right now, and that KTM will have something special for '17!!!!

Great time to be an offroad er!
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Braap791 »

You could big bore it and make your own YZ300x if you wanted to and it would be pretty sick! The savings alone would be in the thousands over big orange.

golarge
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by golarge »

You might want to reread the story. It is a WR. SWEET.
Not that I care, now that I'm almost a member of the 200 club.
Still have to learn some kind of hand shake, and then there is the special head tilt an leg flailing thing .
It's all very secret.
Yup. Got a new one.

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

You might want to reread the story. It is a WR. SWEET.
The new YZ250X is an off-road (meaning, not motocross) version of the YZ250
Back then Yamaha had a 250cc two-stroke off-road bike called the WR250.
I get that it actually is a WR250, but they're calling it a YZ250X. I'm just wondering about the nomenclature change. Maybe it's because it's imported specifically as a closed-course bike this time around? :confused:
-Jared
#44b

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

[quote="erniebearskin"]Off-road valving, bigger tank...quote]

Looks to me to be the standard mx (< 8L) tank.

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

:applause: Hurray for Yamaha!! It only took them 19 years to realise there is a market for off-road bikes outside of the US or more specifically California. Now instead of coming out with something new, they have released what is basically a 1989 WR250 with bold new graphics.

Meanwhile everywhere else in the world, the Euro bikes have been evolving, improving, selling and gaining market share to the point where the Jap bikes are today what the Euro bikes where 35-40 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Yamaha succeed with this bike. Maybe then they would take it more seriously and actually build something worth buying. For now though, it's just a warmed over bike with a half hearted effort at getting back into the market.

No doubt someone at Yamaha said "hey, those Euro's are selling a lot of 2t bikes, we should try our hand at it" in reply an accountant said "ok but you have to go out back to the radioactive warehouse that was flooded by the tsunami and only use the parts you find floating around in there. Wear gloves."

Don't be sucked in by this "new" Yamaha, the frame dates back to 2005 (count the years people) and the motor has only had what amounts to updates from the 1989 Wr250. The year Yamaha's #75 Josh Hill was born!! The biggest update being in 1991 when they switched to a nikasil plated cylinder instead of the iron sleeve. I mean come on, everyone else has e-start on their 2t xc bikes, some in fact only have e-start. The Yam has what equates to a hand crank on the front of a Model T.

Is it cheaper than the Euro's, it had better be, the parts were all sourced from old stock being sold on eBay.

Sorry, I forgot to take my medication today.

Cool new bike!
:cheers:
The voices are back. Awesome!

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Sorry for my rant, I realise I was picking on Yamaha when in fact I should have been picking on all the Jap manufacturers. Kawasaki and Suzuki aren't even playing in the sand box and Honda has been playing with the same overweight toys for the past decade.

I'm feeling better now, the meds are kicking in. :blush:

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Brass wrote:Sorry for my rant ...... I'm feeling better now, the meds are kicking in. :blush:
Too late! You hurt my Feeling!
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Brass wrote:Sorry for my rant, I realise I was picking on Yamaha when in fact I should have been picking on all the Jap manufacturers. Kawasaki and Suzuki aren't even playing in the sand box and Honda has been playing with the same overweight toys for the past decade.

I'm feeling better now, the meds are kicking in. :blush:
Actually the KX has dropped 7.5 lbs too. But I enjoyed your rant. Not quite Belview material but dangerously close. :smirk: :lol:

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

http://www.enduro21.com/index.php/compo ... new-yz250x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yamaha has some great basic packages, Brass is right it's an old design, but a good one. The targeted changes will make this a great bike. Better than the XC? Probably all depends on your opinion of the fork on each model and how well Yamaha has shaped the power delivery of the yz.

This is going to be awesome for riders if the YZ is even close to the XC. Hope we see some REAL development on 2t now.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Haha. Brass you made my night, that was a good rant. Like I said, I'm not rushing out to buy one, I'm all about 4 strokes this week. :thumbsup:
Bikeless....

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

dirtyboy wrote: Actually the KX has dropped 7.5 lbs too.
But they and Suzuki have given up on the off-road bikes completely!
dirtyboy wrote: Not quite Belview material but dangerously close. :smirk: :lol:
The meds help, most days.