KDX Carb screw settings for Calgary

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
ricarvar

KDX Carb screw settings for Calgary

Post by ricarvar »

Ok guys... hope my findings help someone if needed. Regardless, it would be nice to find what other KDX-users have on their carb screw-settings (air screw and Idle) for Calgary.
Mine are:
Air screw= 2 3/8 turns out
Idle screw= 5 3/4 turns out
Jetting= all stock

So... here goes the story of how I found out.
Last time I ran the KDX was a year ago and it was “perfect”. I got the KDX stock and very very low usage. But this year (being new to bikes – just 1 year into it) I took the carb apart to clean it. Then when I put it back together it didn’t start. I wrote down the settings for the air screw (air filter side) and the Idle (as mentioned); however… they didn’t seem to work. I tried everything from lower to higher air/fuel mixing ratio and low/high idle… at its best it turned on but didn’t work well at all… it was a bummer to start it (~200 kicks), if it turned on then it will turned-off pretty easy and still with all sort of problems.

I didn’t wanted to change the jetting as I knew it was running awesome before… so… I reviewed all the basics (e.g. spark plug, air filter, etc.,etc.,etc.) but…. same thing.

Finally, I decided to review for air leaks. So I loosen up the boots to the carb (front and back) and I was careful to very-well-fit the boots to the carb (I leverage here and there to be sure), then tighten both boots very well… and voila !!!...first kick started like a charm :-)

Settings were as per when I took it apart which are:
Air screw: 2 3/8 turns out
Idle screw: 4 turns out – later I take it out up to 5 ¾ turn out.

Manual says air screw up to 2 or 2 ½ (can’t remember now)… but I guess Calgary altitude calls for more air in the mixture… It's not as "perfect" as last year... but getting pretty close.

Cheers,

Ricarvar