Help me "choose" please!

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Hydro1
User
User

Re: Help me "choose" please!

Post by Hydro1 »

cedric wrote:If you're buying a new 2T, make sure you take a good look at the Beta and Sherco options, and there are the new Huskies too (white KTMs essentially). I believe these are all available from Blackfoot Direct.
The reason i have ruled out the other euro brands is because the ergos feel off.
Im a little over 6'1, the yamaha and the ktm both seem better suited for me off the showroom floor.

Hydro1
User
User

Post by Hydro1 »

thirtyseven wrote:I have a ou are interested. Just have to get axel99 on it first.

Both orange and blue have great 2t. The modern orange ones are fantastic machines and most likely will take less effort to be comfortable on in our riding areas.
As for the WRs while they are great bikes, they are the kind of bike that if you have a good solid past of riding, and get readdicted... you will "grow out" of them very fast.
Thanks, however i really want to buy new from a dealership. Never have had a brand new bike before.
Yes, i have removed the wr/4 strokes as a choice.

Hydro1
User
User

Post by Hydro1 »

[quoteantjoe"]Yeah, I wouldn't restrict my choices to blue and orange. BFD sell Husqvarna, Sherco, and Beta. There are plenty KTM dealers around too. Personally, I'm feeling a hankering for Beta right now. If I was to get a new 300 today, I don't know that I could make a decision.[/quote]

I would have to put more money in an already more expensive bike to fit me comfortably.
As i said above, i am a bit larger than the average rider. So the ktm and yamaha, "fit" better out of the box.

Hydro1
User
User

Post by Hydro1 »

brentg wrote:
Hydro1 wrote:
giantjoe wrote:There are a few 2t Euro bikes that come with stators powerful enough to run the required lights, don't limit yourself to blue.
Thanks for the reply!
As I said above, the price tag on the euro bikes are cringe worthy.
I am also pretty dead set on buying a new off the showroom floor dirtbike this time.
It's a shame as I do quite like the 300's ktm has to offer
Oops, totally misread your post. I read it as dead set "against" new. For a new 2T, any Euro 300 will make you very happy! Yamaha makes a great bike, but by the time you make it work as well as a dedicated off-road bike it will likely cost at least as much and, when the time comes, it will re-sell for a lot less. You can fix the suspension and you can change the pipe and you can change the gearing and you can add a forestry legal silencer but you will still have a peaky 250 with a 19" rear wheel, poor lighting choices and no happy button. Go Euro.
Hey no worries, i probably could of worded my post a little better. :D
From what i can tell, the yamaha's suspension out of the box will need less adjustments than the ktm's.
E-start, well i have never had it, also never wished i did. Doesnt mean it wouldnt come in handy though. :thinking:
I wouldnt change the pipe, only the silencer. I also wouldnt change the gearing, maybe add an 11oz flyweight though.
As for the 19" wheel, i can live with it.
A new stator looks to be about 400$, plus light kit, (100$), and a silencer(250$).

Sigh... Decisions decisions.

Hydro1
User
User

Post by Hydro1 »

thirtyseven wrote:Don't believe these guys. Riding starts and stops with KTM and Yamaha.

Everything else is like dancing with your grandpa.

Bad breath and kinda weird.
Thanks!
Spit my tea all over my tablet!
Haha.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Dylan (Trailguy) let me know about these guys. A good way to make your expensive bike even more so.
http://2tallracing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Hydro1 wrote:
thirtyseven wrote:Don't believe these guys. Riding starts and stops with KTM and Yamaha.

Everything else is like dancing with your grandpa.

Bad breath and kinda weird.
Thanks!
Spit my tea all over my tablet!
Haha.
Good start! Buy any of those other bikes you will need a great sense of humor and a huge dose of patience.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

You off your meds again 37?

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Dr gave me a pass for the week.

That was about 10 years ago.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Its hard not to eventually drink the Austrian kool-aid because the bikes are simply that good, not just the obvious stuff like brakes, engines & ergo's (for most GJ excluded) but also ease of maintenance, after sales support, OEM & aftermarket parts availability, and excellent resale etc.

IMHO, you simply won't go wrong with a KTMHusqaberg. In 2012 I purchased a new GasGas 300EC 2T and while it was a pretty good bike, I still spent most of my time wondering why I didnt pony up the extra $800.00 to buy the one I really wanted, I sold it after one year and bought a Husaberg, this past spring I bought a white one, just because I am familiar with and liked the dealer.

Are the other Euro's Sherco, Beta & GasGas (RIP) good bikes....probably/sure, are they on par with Austrian bikes, I dont think so.

Now if you ask Malcolm about his YZ250FX he'll tell you thats the hottest ticket going...and that fella has rode alot of bikes, for me the newer 350 4T's cant be beat!

Happy selecting :cheers:
Bikeless....

brentg
Writer
Writer

Post by brentg »

You know what, if you have narrowed it down to a new KTM or a new Yamaha there really is no wrong decision. I think it is time to pull the trigger and just get one already :thumbsup: Riding trails is just naturally better than standing in showrooms, no matter what you choose. Besides, my favorite bike will always be the one I am riding.

See you out there :cheers:
When life throws you a curve... lean into it, pick your line, and keep your weight on the outside peg.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W

Hydro1
User
User

Post by Hydro1 »

brentg wrote:You know what, if you have narrowed it down to a new KTM or a new Yamaha there really is no wrong decision. I think it is time to pull the trigger and just get one already :thumbsup: Riding trails is just way better than standing in showrooms, no matter what you choose. Besides, my favorite bike will always be the one I am riding.

See you out there :cheers:
Went into the local yamaha dealership yesturday.
Tried to finance a new yz250. It was a no go, talked to the bank today. Will need a more substancial down payment before they will do it.
Looks like i might not be riding until spring! :crybaby:
In the mean time, might try and help maintain some of the trails if its needed.
Will give me a feel for the terrain too. There is ALWAYS garbage to be picked up.
Nothing wrong with getting involved before i own a new bike.

Thanks again to all who replied!