Fuel problem using shell nitro

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Fuel problem using shell nitro

Post by boland »

Interesting. I usually use shell as well but there is a shortage on shell premium and ended up going with co-op this time. Turns out it's around 10 cents cheaper too! I think I'll be sticking with co-op
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

gorillam
User
User

Post by gorillam »

Dobi wrote:I am starting to get some really weird plug fouling and am wondering if this new Shell fuel is it... My bike is jetted lean and I haven't fouled a plug in years. I have new reeds, a good top end and run an SX head. Nothing has changed in my bike, except the fuel.... I fill up at the same 2 shell locations for my bike fuel.

It starts cold. runs for 10 seconds and fouls a plug. toss a new plug in and it runs great for the day. The next morning, same thing. starts first kick, runs good and fouls a plug... I have pulled the carb, cleaned it, replaced a pilot jet and reed valves unnecessarily and still am fighting this plug fouling. next stop Coop fuel to see if this sorts it out. :thumbsdown:

For the first time in my life I just had fuel problems on both of my bikes, dumped the shell and put some other sludge in both bikes running great again. Interesting because not once ever until now have I had the issue, I think there must have been water in the fuel. I filled up at the one at the top of the hill by blackfoot, go figure they were out 2 days later.

Fenel854
Writer
Writer

Post by Fenel854 »

I did some searching online and found that there are quite a few cases of Shell having water in their gas. Maybe you can find negative stories about every fuel station, who knows. I always fill up at the Petro Canada only because of proximity to my house but I will make sure not to use Shell gas when travelling.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/michigan- ... d=23004467
Ron

2014 KTM 300XCW
2016 Timbersled ST

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Dobi wrote:I am starting to get some really weird plug fouling and am wondering if this new Shell fuel is it... My bike is jetted lean and I haven't fouled a plug in years. I have new reeds, a good top end and run an SX head. Nothing has changed in my bike, except the fuel.... I fill up at the same 2 shell locations for my bike fuel.

It starts cold. runs for 10 seconds and fouls a plug. toss a new plug in and it runs great for the day. The next morning, same thing. starts first kick, runs good and fouls a plug... I have pulled the carb, cleaned it, replaced a pilot jet and reed valves unnecessarily and still am fighting this plug fouling. next stop Coop fuel to see if this sorts it out. :thumbsdown:
Was it the crack in your pipe? Or the fuel? :lol:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

dirtyboy wrote:

aren't you too old to be trolling on instagram?

I switched out all the fuel in it last night, installed a fresh plug and it fired right up. I warmed it up in the alley and shut it down for the night. I will try it cold as soon as I get home tonight and see how it works before swapping out the pipe. I have had cracks in pipes before and never had plug fouling issues, so I am skeptical that it could be causing it. In my opinion, a new plug would foul just as fast as a day old one if the crack was the problem.

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

Dobi wrote:
dirtyboy wrote:

aren't you too old to be trolling on instagram?

I switched out all the fuel in it last night, installed a fresh plug and it fired right up. I warmed it up in the alley and shut it down for the night. I will try it cold as soon as I get home tonight and see how it works before swapping out the pipe. I have had cracks in pipes before and never had plug fouling issues, so I am skeptical that it could be causing it. In my opinion, a new plug would foul just as fast as a day old one if the crack was the problem.
I believe I experienced the same problem last time I rode. Changed the plug fired up. Ran fine, but did cook my stator 5 km from the truck (near the end of the ride). I believe that was unrelated. I don't have co-op as an option where I am. What would be the next best? Petro can? Esso?

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

If I can't get Shell Gold I go Esso.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

trailguy wrote:If I can't get Shell Gold I go Esso.
Agreed.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

3 cold starts yesterday with nothing different than Shell fuel and the bike is back to normal. I even went so far as to soak the motor down with a cold hose to make sure it was truly cold and condensate could be sitting on or in the pipe. I am convinced its the shell fuel. Even though the pipe was not the issue, I took the effort to swap it out with another one I had. :cheers:

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Dobi wrote:3 cold starts yesterday with nothing different than Shell fuel and the bike is back to normal. I even went so far as to soak the motor down with a cold hose to make sure it was truly cold and condensate could be sitting on or in the pipe. I am convinced its the shell fuel. Even though the pipe was not the issue, I took the effort to swap it out with another one I had. :cheers:
Great you got it sorted Mike :thumbsup: Ty's SX 85 recently fouled a plug on cold start which is odd for that bike esp with 20 hours on a fresh top end and new plug. Its only happened the once, wondering if the Lucas Oil Octane booster he also runs is maybe masking the fouling issue's on cold start :excuse:
I've had a couple of riders contact me recently with cold start fouling issue's that have just started this year after their bike has been perfect in prior years.
This sucks that its start to look like Shell Gold went from the best pump gas you could buy to this new Nitro being about the worst. :thumbsdown:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

multiple cold engine starts on Coop gas and no issues here. For what its worth I run Opti oil too.

Anybody want 5 gallons of premix....

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Dobi wrote:multiple cold engine starts on Coop gas and no issues here. For what its worth I run Opti oil too.

I will take it.
#Z3B

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

axel99 wrote:
Dobi wrote:multiple cold engine starts on Coop gas and no issues here. For what its worth I run Opti oil too.

I will take it.
I will leave it in ziplock freezer bags in the back of Jamie's truck after this weekend (I am attached to my gas can....)

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Not to subsribe to the hype, but I actually had some hot start issues with my weed whacker. All I burn in it is my 2S gas from Andens' 50. I bought some new stuff from COOP to try.

I'll be sad if the Shell gas sucks. I used to go out of my way to always ensure I had their premium in my bikes, mainly for the no ethanol gas. :excuse:

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

Apparently co-op premium is ethanol free
KTM 300 XCW
#184A